Refinishing a dry sink

Reply to
nospambob

Hi Folks, I have a dark stained dry sink that I want to refinish. I would like to bring it back to it's natural color knoty pine.

Do I need to take it to a refinish place and have it dipped or is there a product out that will do the same thing ?

Thanks in advance Dick

Reply to
Platebanger

If you are asking how to get the stain out of wood, you could try two part bleaches or Clorox or oxalic acid which is good for a particular type of stain. The problem with the above is that they work on dye stains. If you have a pigment stain, you have to remove the pigment which means stripping to break the binder or sanding, scraping, etc.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

I assume it also has a clear coat on it? Paint remover will remove the clear coat and most of the stain. Forget bleach. Semi-paste paint remover, mineral spirits, fine steel wool, scraper are the tools you need to remove finish. Not water-wash paint remover. Knotty pine? Not an antique, then, probably. Soft wood is easy to mar, so scrape gently.

Paint remover removes most of the wood stain, but there is nothing I know of that will remove all of it. You will probably end up with much lighter version of the same color. Pine is soft and absorbs more stain, more deeply.

Reply to
Norminn