Square drive wood screws stick to the bit?

I'm not whining, I'm asking if anyone else has the same problem or if there is an easy solution.

I got some square drive screws today. I noticed they stick to the screw driver and thought that was cool since it would be like a magnetic tip screwdriver with a much stronger grip. Then I drove some into a 2 x 4 and had trouble removing the drill from the screw head.

Well, I guess the obvious solution is to file the screw head. Any other suggestions/clues/hints would be appreciated.

I don't don't do much fastening, so it's no big deal in any case. Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

Roll the tip off the screw instead of just pulling it off straight.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I find they stick on occassion, particularly if driving into harder materials requiring a little torque. My guess is the driver tip slightly cuts into the screw head making it stick a little. I usually just wiggle the drill a little and it pops off whenever it happens.

Reply to
xcz

What he said, with the addition that the motion quickly becomes second nature. You won't even think about it after a few more screws!

**
**

B A R R Y

Just wiggle the drill back and forth and the bit will come out of the screw. Better to have the screw stick than to fall off. This is great for starting screws in hard to reach places.

Reply to
Leon

How many times do you figure for the minimum number of screws before you get the motion down right? Personally, I don't recall ever having a screw where the motion was not acceptable.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ahhh, the stickiness of a fresh bit. Give it a few screws and it will loosen up soon enough. Then you'll be looking for a fresh bit that's sticky again.

Robatoy

That's what my wife keeps saying... and I think she's right...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

**
**

B A R R Y

I always roll off when I'm done screwing.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Bragging or complaining?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

the motion down right?

Like the boy who fell in the sewer and couldn't swim, how long before he'll just be going through the motions....

Reply to
Dave Gordon

You're wife must be feeling old age creep on... ;-)

Reply to
Dave Gordon