Spring Cleaning The Shop

How the hell do spiders build webs during the Winter?

I swear they weren't there in the Fall.

I've got a bunch of them to suck up with the shop vac.

How the hell does dust form over the Winter to the degree that it is a half inch thick in some spots?

Is a puzzlement!

Why can't I have at least two days of good weather before the carpenter bees start up again?

They must have eaten half my shop by now.

How can the jointer table be a sea of rust when it was slathered with TopCote in November?

That goes for the shaper, drill press and Unisaw, too.

How can six fluorescent tubes be burned out when they were hardly on during the Winter and they all worked fine in November?

Who the hell took my favorite bench brush?

Why does MDF swell so much in an unheated building when the RH was only 20% on average during the Winter?

Why is it that I threw out everything that I thought that I could in November and now have four trash barrels full of crap to put out on the street in April?

Why does my shop smell like an abandoned building?

I sure am glad it is Spring - I have a lot of work to do - and a lot of questions to answer.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I think maybe your neighbor has been building himself some hellacious nice projects while you are sleeping.. ;)

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Reply to
Xlat

If you ever find someone who knows the answers would you ask them if they know how a lawn mower's spark plug can go bad while sitting in a garage over the winter?

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Damn, if I had a question like that, I'd ask an engineer.

(bseg)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

A question I've pondered myself...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

The waterfall?

Reply to
joeD

If he can answer that one, ask him how 6 sparkplugs can go bad in a 10 hr. time span. About '84-'85, my first "big" bike was a KZ1300 tourer,(yeah, that one, the 6 cyl. in-line). I rode home from a friends house around midnight, running fine. Next morning around 10:00, the darn thing wouldn't even fart! Messed with it about half the day, tried cleaning and gapping the plugs, etc. Finally went out and bought a new set of plugs & put in, vrooooom, right now!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

You know that's why you're bowlegged, right?

I mean, that's gotta be it!

(watson - who can't even find a cheap car to buy that has six cylinders - sigh...)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Yup!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

For $162.50 the lawn mower tune up guy will tell you "bad gas". DAMHIKT

Pat..

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

Put me out in a cold building in Buffalo, NY during the winter and my spark plug wouldn't work either! ;-)

Mark & Juanita

Age? Mice don't live forever.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I keep my shop open all winter, what I don't get is what is in my shop that kills mice? Poison free zone and I know it's not the cat cause they still have there heads intact. Must be the winter variety of spiders

Reply to
Knothead

How about the cold (i.e. hypothermia)?

Mark & Juanita

Age? Mice don't live for

How about the cold (i.e. hypothermia)?

It's not cold maybe the shock from coming in from the cold. I hope it's not age that would suggest I work in a mouse graveyard where they all come to die. My neighbor suggested it's from the blown in insulation in the ceiling that has some treatment that kills 'em. I guess I shouldn't complain.

Reply to
Knothead

I had a red squirrel take up residence inside my bench one winter. Never saw the sucker but heard occasional scurryings when I went into the shed. In the spring, I discovered that he/she had gnawed shortcuts between and through the drawers. What a mess. I put a back on the bench.

Walt C

Reply to
Walt Cheever

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:01:10 -0500, the inscrutable "Knothead" spake:

Sell tickets to your basement, Knotty!

"Visit the U.S. Escarpment, home of the Mouse Graveyard" "See the tiny piles of mouse ivory never before seen by man"

the whole set! + Website design and graphics =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sell tickets to your basement, Knotty!

Good Idea maybe a pay per view website... Meatbits.com

Reply to
Knothead