Speaking of Bandsaws

Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that already own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic to me.

Reply to
Upscale

Do you have a link to this tape?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I found it.

Lee Michaels

Amazon should have it, it is a Tauton Press book

I also think it is NOW available on DVD as well

John

Reply to
John

Check with your local library first, before buying it.

Reply to
WD

I've got the DVD.

Reply to
Upscale

By the way, Netflix also has this video.

Reply to
Gus

good thing ya do.. if you had the book and liked the video, I was going to request a sample of whatever you're smoking.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You should see what Sam Maloof can do with a bandsaw. He doesn't recomend free handing on the bandsaw but did it because he didn't know any better when he started and now it's second nature to him. Of course he's got a problem with the first digit of one of his fingers which got smashed between the wood he was freehand cutting and the cast iron bandsaw table. But I guess if you live as long as he has and done as much as he's done on the bandsaw AND still has all of his digits - he's got it down pretty good.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

So I can assume from what you're saying that the book is a lot better. Only difference is that I might never have gotten around to picking up the book whereas my geeky/technology interest was immediately piqued when I found the video.

Reply to
Upscale

You're kidding right....?

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Kidding about Netflix having it?

Nope.

Check it out yourself.

Steve Decker

It can be fun.

I do big dovetails on the bandsaw, little ones (jewel boxes) on the=20 scroll saw. It does work and you can get quality dovetails. :-)

Somedays the bandsaw gets more work than the table saw -- and for rough=20 work I will use the band saw first because of the speed and safety...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Somedays the bandsaw gets more work than the table saw -- and for rough work I will use the band saw first because of the speed and safety...

One thing that's intrigued me is how quiet a bandsaw is and what you can actually do with one and the proper jigs. I live in an apartment so the only times I do any heavy woodworking is when I go over to a friend's house to use my tablesaw that I sold him. Since I use a wheelchair, so far anyway, I've been unable to find a cheap enough, close enough accessible location for me to rent for use as a small workshop.

I'd never use a tablesaw in an apartment, but a bandsaw in a dedicated apartment room is entirely workable and just means that I'd need a big enough apartment, something entirely within my reach. Now I'm really envisioning all sorts of possibilities.

Reply to
Upscale

Well -- add a quiet scroll saw -- lots of fun. We have the inexpensive=20 Delta -- reliable -- but a tad noisy and it vibrates to much to be=20 called anything but noisy. The deWalt might be better $600+ CDN. Then=20 you can do dovetailed or box joint jewel boxes, clocks etc. All sorts of =

small projects. Was it FWW that just did a article on scroll saws?

I just use a small chisel to clean up minor imperfections after scroll=20 sawing. The band saw is a little rougher...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

no, what I meant was that if you were reading the book and saw the video, (in your head, not by having the book AND the video), I would consider it a drug gloat and ask you to share.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well, I do know from watching the video, that there's a number of things in Mark Duginski's book that aren't in the video. Things like jigs and stuff like that. So I may try to get the book when I have the time. I did obtain Lonnie Bird's book on using the bandsaw. Lot of information in there too, I just haven't had time to go through the whole thing yet.

Reply to
Upscale

they're really 2 different type of info, and it's always best to have both if possible... A picture might be worth 1,000 words, but sometimes the words convey it better... and most of us were taught in school that we learn from books, so it's effective.. The advantage of also having video is that you can see what you read about in action.. and quickly go to whatever part that you want to.. and freeze a part that you wanted to see.

Personally, I like having both because I really don't read much in the shop.. that's what recliners are for.. *g* Also, I like to learn sort of "hands on"... I bought Bill Grumbine's bowl turning DVD after pretty much reading the same info free at his web site... but having the DVD in the little tv in the shop and being able to watch part, pause it and TRY what he did, then continue watching, was great..