Spans tables for smaller lumber?

I'd like to support 1000 lbs on a box frame 48"x18". Will 1x4 Ash (real 1x4) support this weight with supports every 16" along the length? I suspect it will, but I'd like to see the pudding.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Aquarium stand?

Your problem lies not in support, but in bumping. Ash is pretty much incompressible on its end, but it might flex and transfer enough of the load in the 1" dimension to snap it along its length. Make your corners fully glued L s and see if you can get a fully glued panel to maintain your back and ends.

If you're an engineering type, you can find good data at

George

Yep.

Thanks, doesn't really have to be Ash, but I thought it would offer the best strength. I built the last one out of 2x4s with plywood veneer. It was plenty strong, but difficult to square,as I don't have a Jointer (Yet).

I was planning on making the supports fully glued Ts, just offset enough to let me recess the end panels flush with the 'face frame'.

Reply to
Bill Stock

One thing I'd recommend for you would be a drip edge of some sort immediately under the tank. My old 55 had a metal frame (not too old, am I?), so I just used a plastic oak-patterned molding immediately under it and above the frame. Yours is probably plastic around the base, so you can use a similar color. What you're after is something sloped and slick enough to encourage slopped water to run away from the stand, rather than dribbling down the wood itself. Gives you one more piece of protection for that finish.

Remember, if there is a single spot where water can break through your best urethane efforts, it'll find it, and lift an ugly white spot.

Reply to
George