Sources for Hardwood

All,

Could anyone suggest sources for hardwood (white oak, ash, cherry). Looking for ~300 bd/ft, rough, FAS. I live in NM, but would not mind driving (day trip) to CO, AZ, TX etc....

thanks,

-nick

Reply to
Nick Degidio

Not sure where in NM you are but there are a couple or so places in Albuquerque. Paxtons (which is now called OrePac), DJ Hardwoods, and Albuquerque Hardwoods or something like that. Each has their own particulars in the way of stock and you have to pick through the stuff to find really nice stuff, usually.

There's another place in Southern Colo that appears to just be the cat's meow but for the life of me, their name escapes me. I'll track it down eventually. I was thinking of making a trip up there this spring/summer to possibly load up on some stuff.

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:56:51 -0700, James \Cubby\ Culbertson wrote (in article ):

Great selection of the exotics, but verrrryyyyy pricy. They wanted $150 for a sheet of 3/4 white oak plywood.

Abq hardwoods is my current fav. they have the standard stuff like red and white oak, cherry, maple, walnut, etc. and plywoods. Prices are fair. good prices on the 1/2" russian birch ply, $18 5x5 sheet.

-Bruce

< or something like
Reply to
Bruce

Oh yeah. If you join Abq woodworkers assn. you get a good discount (10%?) which at $30 is worth it.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I agree, Abq. Hardwoods gets my nod as well and yes, the AWWA discount is great. Pays for itself in no time. OrePac is nice only for the fact that they carry a lot of different varieties. But you are right, pretty pricey although their prices actually came down when OrePac bought them. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Thanks. I will check Abq Hardwoods. I'm a newbie in this area, and would really like to know of reputable sources in the south west. I came from the east coast and had many choices.

My last purchase was at Paxtons (200 bd/ft ash,) and they did not stock in the rough. The machining was awful, as I now have spend many hours sanding/scraping lumber. I like taking the time up front to prepare stock, and have invested in a large jointer an planer to do the job.

Again thanks for any info about woodworking in the area.

-nick

Reply to
Nick Degidio

guys?

Reply to
patrick conroy

Yesss!

Have you ever been? Wondering if it's worth the 4+ hour drive up there. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Excellent!

I took a visit to CSWOOD's web, then called. Have what I'm looking for. If I take the back-way, Taos to Questsa to Walsenburg, the drive is gorgous, and worth the trip (and my honey really loves these day trips.)

Thank you for taking the time!

-nick

Reply to
Nick Degidio

My family has a place in Angelfire NM so I suppose the quickest way would be to head up there for a weekend and make a day trip up through Raton. Please let me know how their wood turns out. I prolly wouldn't head up for another few months but would like to save a trip if it's not worth it.

I assume you're heading up from ABQ? That's a LONG day trip! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson