Slide-out Shelf

I need to come up with a method to occasionally extend the depth of a counter top by about 20". The extension will have to be strong enough to hold a sewing machine, and ideally would pull out, then lift to create a level surface. (Sort of like one of the high-price keyboard supports) The idea is that most of the time, the extension would be slid back under the existing counter, then pulled out when needed. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ron Kolakowski

Back in the dark ages, when offices had typewriters many desks had a pullout that was exactly like you want. You opened the side door and pulled it out and up. I have no idea if they are still made. Maybe you can find an old one at a used office furniture place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are still made. I've seen them in a recent catalog. (Lee Valley? Rockler?)

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

This what you mean? (watch for line wrap)

like you could have the sewing machine mounted on it all the time.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:28:32 -0700, the inscrutable "Ron Kolakowski" spake:

The answer is "What is an appliance lift?" for $100, Alex.

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah. :)

If you have the 'under-counter' space for it, get an *old* desk -- one with a typewriter well. transplant the mechanism, with the 'up' position at the appropriate height. Heck, you can even leave the sewing machine on it more-or-less permanently. Self storing.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

In addition to that (if the poundage rating is good for you) you might also want to troll through Lamp Sugatsune's site.

who hasn't been disappointed by Lamp/Sugatsune and reading the catalog descriptions can be fun also...

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

Lots of good ideas, but I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original post - the space beneath the original top needs to be fairly clear, since the manchine will be primarily used on that surface, and there needs to be leg room underneath. In thinking this through, and after discussions with SWMBO, I may be able to use full extension slides and a bread-board type slide-out, living with the 1" or so offset in the two surfaces. It would still mean giving up a couple of inches of leg room, but should work.

Thanks for all the inputs,

Reply to
Ron Kolakowski

The appliance brackets take up a few inches, but I think there will still be enough room. Measuring my wife's machine, there is 8 `1/2" from the top of my leg to the bottom fo the machine. In the case of the old typewriter lifts, there was enough room to sit under it. I'd be more concerned about having enought length to it to properly sew.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Even though you can get strong enough slides to support a sewing machine, there's likely going to be a little bounce when the sewing machine is in use. What about decent slides and some type of metal drop down leg or extendable leg to support the outside of the shelf when it's out?

Reply to
Upscale

On 12 Mar 2005 18:28:48 -0800, the inscrutable "Ron Kolakowski" spake:

Hang some supports and use a pair of long drawer slides. Install a hinged top which would fold up and in, leaning (nearly) against the countertop to become level.

See the Lee Valley lift-top coffee table mechanism for an example of what I mean by "up and in."