laminate floorings

Need any and all information about laminate floor installation,what to look for

and what to stay away from,I would like to put it over old lino,any good suggestions?????

Reply to
AR

Cheap stuff is cheap. Use a carbide tipped blade to cut it. Look at using wood instead. Engineered wood is nice also. One of the good ones is

Edwin Pawlowski

Check out

, lots of info., installation tips, manufactures installation manuals. DAGS, laminate flooring + installation tips etc...

Laminate floors do have a place in the home, so choose wisely based on the application, not just price. Look at alternitives, engineered flooring, hardwood etc... and do your research.

Reply to
Nicky

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between laminated and engineered flooring?

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Laminate is a plastic material. The top is a high pressure material, similar, but tougher than the old Formic countertops. Thee is usually a center layer and a bottom. The top is the design of course. It is 100% synthetic. Better brands are very durable. I put some down on my stairs and entryway. Still looks as good as the day it was installed. While it has a wood pattern, it is not real wood and I can tell the difference.

is what I have. The foyer is a marble type of appearance in 15 x 15 blocks.

Engineered wood is a plywood type of material. The top layer is the "good wood" stained and finished with a durable coating. Some are guaranteed for

15 years. The other layers are criss-crossed, just like plywood. Unlike regular hardwood, it can be laid over concrete slab with the proper barrier. In my family room and downstairs hallway, I used stuff from
They also make a laminate.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed, thanks for taking the time to explain. I have been looking at something at the local Sam's club and it's a laminated product. The bottom has a foam backing applied. It comes in an oak or cherry finish and cost is about $28.00 for 18 square feet. IIRC thickness is 9mm. Just considering it for the den to replace the old carpet.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas