Simple dovetails

I can cut these by hand but I just have not had the right project yet. I will though, and then show how well I did them.

Ed Pawlowski

How do those work? Unless I'm not seeing this with the right POV, I don't see how these are put together.

Reply to
krw

Look at the first comment...

Oh, never mind...I'll save you the work...

DerbyDad03

No, I think they are simply stacked. The reference you showed is a guess of how that went together.

Reply to
Leon

Didn't see any comments.

Doh! I had normal dovetail joinery in mind. I saw that it was a house but didn't even consider that the walls were stacked.

Reply to
krw

May not need to carve the whole tail, just a few inches inward.

Reply to
Sonny

That's what the image I linked to shows. Stacked.

To be more precise, the image shows the 3rd piece in process of being stacked on the other 2.

The 2nd comment after that image reads "That's the way it appears in the pic. I can't see them sliding together. They would have had to have been placed 1 on top of the other." i.e. stacked.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You missed all 164 of them?

Somebody asked:

"How does the water run away from joints like that?"

To which I replied:

"It doesn't run away. It stands there and stares in wonderment."

:-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If one doesn't know to scroll down...

That's a good one.

Reply to
krw

OOPS! Sorry, I saw that drawing as a sliding in at 45 degree DT's.

Reply to
Leon

No problem! It is a pretty neat method, assuming you are really good with a chisel and a rasp.

Would the Origin have helped with that? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

no

Reply to
Leon

When first seen, the 45 DT is a pretty mind-boggling joint, too. :)

Be interesting to have video of the cutting.

I wonder how much is actually shaped that intricately -- perhaps its only ornamental outer couple inches and the rest inside is just a straight section.

--

Reply to
dpb

You can do wonders with Plastic Wood....

Reply to
whit3rd

Buddy you can once look at this article :

I found this article much helpful to Cut Dovetails by Hand.

Reply to
Xmanwall 4

Here's a series of videos. It looks like a blast.

Michael