Sideways hand cart

Some weeks ago, I asked about a hand cart that could move both forward and sideways. After googling and asking all over for such a and getting no joy, this is my solution.

chips-'n-swarf

very nice idea, using the two different diameter wheels so when they are turned for sideways travel they provide a nice convenient tilt.

Reply to
hdrdtd

That's really cool. Are you planning on producing it?

**
**

B A R R Y

A great idea with some serious engineering, I think that thing will last forever. A thousand uses, well done.

regards John

Reply to
John B

Well done, now go get a patent on it!

jc

Reply to
Joe

He's going to have trouble getting a patent, now that he's published it's design to the world. Now it's considered "public domain". He should have filed for a patent and then waited for the filing to be accepted before showing his design to anyone. Then it would be listed as "patent applied for" and he would have protection.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Thank you for all the kind words. The hand truck was made for my own use. If it give you folks any inspiration, please post your ideas.

Thanks

Rod

Reply to
chips-'n-swarf

As the other said, "nice idea, well executed"...

A question/comment... How heavy is the rod? Looks like the potential "weak link" under a heavy load, maybe. But, a lower additional support or just beefing it up would take quite a bit to cause a problem, I'm sure...

--

Reply to
dpb

The rods are 1/2" stressproof. And, you're right there may be a problem with heavy loads, however the wheels have a load rating of 175 pounds, so that limits the cart to under 400 pounds.

I have been unable to find 6" pneumatic tires, so that seems to be the limiting factor. It would be very easy to use a 3/4" or 1" shafting to beef up the weight limits perhaps by using 10" pneumatic tires with

6" steel caster wheels.

Thanks for the comments

Rod

Reply to
chips-'n-swarf

Actually, if you were really intent on making/needing a heavyweight job, strikes me you could add a tension rod onto the outside diameter of the shaft when rotated that could clear the supports. Lightweight but very strong in tension. Same idea as used on pole booms, for example.

--

Reply to
dpb