shop talk

I would have thought 1/48. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Your answer has more significant bits than the problem. Fail! ;-)

Reply to
krw

Reply to
clare

I was waiting for that. ;-)

However it doesn't change the point I was making. I can still calculate a number that each of the 3 pieces will measure and each of those numbers will be 1 divided by a number that is larger than 16.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do it all the time with dowels. Knife, roll the dowel under blade pressure along the bench, and when the score line is deep enough, snap the length off. With boards, it takes a diagonal cut (two bookcase sides 5' high, and a little over, from a 10' board after taking an inch off each end to clean it up). Scissors on 0.042" veneer is another way.

Reply to
whit3rd

No wonder he wanted a pair of reading glasses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

there are ultrasonic slicers now

not sure if they have made them work with wood yet but i bet they have

saw one used in food production

was used for slicing things that deform badly when sliced

the ultrasonic sliced perfectly with no deformation and no scrap

and almost no sound of course

really effectively sielnt

Reply to
Electric Comet

Be a while before you see them in home woodshops - even those that currently have shelves of "green" tools - - - -

Reply to
clare

if so inclined (pretty thin kerf, if not perfectly accurate):

bnwelch

sometimes technology breaks out and disrupts

it could happen if someone developing it now decides to expand their market space

if a mill could cut wood with no saw dust and no loss of material that could convert to more money quickly

and since ultrasound slicers seem to work better on wet wood a mill is where it my show up first

then the tech trickles down

portable ultrasound saws would be next

Reply to
Electric Comet

This has been discussed a few times before, just the saving by switching to a thin kerf blade you can save on both wood and power. The change to thin kerf allows me to buy less wood. Using the blade takes less power and it drastically cut the electric bill too.

I've tracked the savings on a spreadsheet and the savings was enough to put my two kids through college. Simply put, thin kerf = no student loans.

If a tool or machine eliminates any loss, I'd buy one and with the payback be out shopping for a Corvette. Bring on the technology.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you bought two think kerf blades and mounted them side by side you could save enough to become a multi millionaire. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

that should be a blade maker slogan

but then someone will spoil it by suing because they bought the blade and still had to take a student loan

Reply to
Electric Comet