anti noise

i guess that shop noise from machines is mostly white noise

but with compute power as it is i wonder if it is possible to sample the white noise and cancel fast enough so that i cannot hear it

or at least cancel most of it by analyzing the predominant noises based on previous samples

Reply to
Electric Comet

My guess would be that you're wrong. I would guess that it has strong harmonics of the motor's RPM.

With headphones? Try it. It should work fairly well. If you're talking about cancelling the sound in the entire room, forget it.

Reply to
krw

Yes it is possible.

Reply to
Markem

I suppose that among the many other things of which Electric Comet is unaware is that a major audio manufacturer has noise cancelling headsets in their third or fourth generation of production, available off the shelf at Best Buy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Auto manufacturers use anti-noise to change (reduce, increase, or "enhance") engine noise. It's quite different than the **** headsets you mention, though. It is a technology that a saw manufacturer could, but is *highly* unlikey to, use.

Reply to
krw

Honda uses Active Noise Cancellation to mask the noise caused by the vibration that occurs when the Variable Cylinder Management kicks in and shuts down the back 3 cylinders.

I installed a device to suppress the VCM so I don't have to deal with the vibration, the noise, the lack of response, etc. The 2nd generation of Honda's VCM is supposed to be better, but the earlier version that I have both sucks for the driver and is bad for the engine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not familliar with that particular unit but ANC isn't just a matter of masking the noise when VCM kicks in. There is anti-noise added to lower overall noise in some models. In others (not necessarily Honda), it's there to make it sound like a muscle car. ;-)

Reply to
krw

thought it might be

problems i see

fidelity of the anti noise generated could be tricky

fidelity of the sampling might be hard but not sure

depends on the response of the mic i guess

interesting problem

Reply to
Electric Comet

Automotive ANC isn't anything like noise-cancelling headsets. That technology is only possible over a very small area (the point between your ears). I'd expect any noise-cancelling used in power tools would be more like that used in automotive, where a lot is known about the noise beforehand.

Reply to
krw

BMW uses the muscle car sounds too. So you pay extra to get a quiet car and you pay extra to get a sound system to replace the quiet. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I don't recall ever saying it was.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Honda uses Active Noise Cancellation to mask the noise..."

Reply to
krw

Some plug in hybrids have noise generators so that they don't sneak up on pedestrians. Many Harley riders carry this notion to an extreme-- their slogan is "loud pipes save lives".

Reply to
J. Clarke

When I rode a bicycle from CO to WA through the Rockies in 2011 those "loud" pipes significantly detracted from the experience... instead of hearing nature in places like the Tetons and Yellowstone all we heard was Harleys... Ugh... When we encountered three guys on BMWs in Lowell, ID in a dinner we thanked them! Mind you, there is a Harley sitting in my father's garage with "normal" pipes...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

A little online research by yourself could have answered that question, ya know?

Reply to
Markem

Yes, *that* is what I said. I didn't say that that is the *only* application for ANC.

Moving on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Many Harely riders are wrong. I had more close calls and was actually hit while sitting at a red light when riding my Harley. No issues with my 2 Yamahas.

Reply to
Leon

Personally I like hearing the noise my tools make, with the exception of my old shop vac (My new $85 one is not a problem) and my router. Sound is a major indicator of how a motor, tool or otherwise, is working. I'd say everyone is like this but, I've watched my wife pick up a foreign objected in the sweeper and it would scream like a banshee, with zero effect on her activities. Rather amazing.

I might add my jointer is a tad too loud because it does not use a segmented spiral cutter head. My planer does, and it's a pleasure to hear it work.

Reply to
Jack

About nothing discussed in this newsgroup could not be answered with a little online search. His subject is reducing noise in a shop, so it is on topic (unlike loud Harely's saving lives or not) so it would eliminate the newsgroup if the only questions allowed were those that could not be answered with a "little online research"

Seems a bunch of questions here are answered after some online research, and some from first hand experience. They are not always the same answer.

This is what keeps things going, right?

Reply to
Jack

Definitely not. There's the usually tonal hum of the motor, the whine of the blade, etc.

Unless you're talking about doing this within headphones (which exist), there would be problems with phase and delay. Your head isn't stationary. If you're imagining an "anti-noise" generator somewhere in you're shop it would somehow have to compute the exact signal to produce that would cancel out the tool sound *where your ears are*, which is not only a moving target, but *two* moving targets. This is not to mention the thousands of paths the sound would take as it reflects off the various surfaces in your shop.

I find the garden variety 3M ear protectors to be more than sufficient.

Reply to
Greg Guarino