anti noise

The question was directed at EC. Noise cancellation has been used for a good number of years. Now having a large system to cancel noise in a shop is just ridiculousness with headphones having been available. EC's ponderings do bring about discussion, but ribbing an individual can be part of that discussion.

Reply to
Markem

i like the no load blade whine but could live without

the motor hum is not so loud

the work load is the noise that needs to be eliminated

interesting seems that the best place to create the anti noise is close to the noise

each noise maker would need an anti noise generator

also interesting but not practical would have to buy multiple sets and disperse to all those in shop ear shot

then there would be timing issues

maybe i could push out txt msgs to them when i am about to make noise

but what if my wood muse cannot sleep and wants some late night work or early morn

Reply to
Electric Comet

Oddly, my 15" planer with straight knives is not terribly loud. Add the DC and it get very loud and that is with out the planer cutting anything. You can imagine what happens when wood is being planed with the DC.

Reply to
Leon

That is odd. My planer is not loud when not cutting, and makes very satisfying sound, not loud, even when cutting a 15" hunk of white oak. My jointer with straight knives is not loud when running without cutting, but face joint A 5" hunk of white oak and the neighbors start holding their ears. My dust collector is also very quiet, because of where it is more than being actually quiet.

Reply to
Jack

I agree with all this, however my lunchbox planer with straight knives, universal motor (and running 2HP cyclone) _needs_ a good set of shooting muffs in place! Angle grinder and metal chop saw are a close second.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster