Sears tractor keeps destroying pulleys

Hello

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley that drives the left side blade keeps stripping. The pulley is attached to it's shaft with a star connection. If I hit a root or stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. The star opening on the pulley gets every so slightly stripped and enlarged and begins to saw away at the spindle destroying both within seconds. This happens only on the left blade, never on the right. To replace the pulley and spindle costs me about $60 each time. so far in the two years that I have owned time machine this happened 4 times! Can anyone tell me what going wrong ?

John

Reply to
John

Steel is not just steel. Properly heat treating the correct type of steel makes a huge difference in the longevity of a splined connection.

Are your replacement parts aftermarket parts? Did Sears change their supplier of parts? Can you swap left from right to troubleshoot this possibility.

Reply to
tnom

[....]

think about it like this this. the piece of junk was built by the low bidder who LOL every time they think of how they did not have to put their name on that piece of crap they sold sears.

[....]

new low bidder for lots of replacement parts.

-- sears - where girlie-guys wives take them to shop

Reply to
Jim

Avoid hitting sticks with it if they are in the 10 inch range, eh Clark?

Reply to
Steveo

Don't encourage him. :)

Reply to
Steveo

My Craftsman tractor has been great , well since they replaced it , which I guess that means it has not been great but the replacement has been great. Ya know since I can't bury my tree roots I've just been slicing them with the Lawn Tractor, I think the tree's like it.

It is incredible what 3/4 of an inch in deck mower height can make. (the killer 10" stick is an ornament on the Christmas tree this year)!

NOW on topic, the last time I saw a Sears Tech he told me the pulley assembly's were not as good as say, a 1965 Colt deluxe's, but only crazed nut jobs would want one of those , right Sarge? Is there a way the OP could micky mouse the assembly so it would not strip out??

Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

Sears is just about the cheapest crap you can buy.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

I have a Sears tractor, I like it, I just have to watch for psycho killer

10" pine sticks of doom. Some people also think I should be locked in a mental hospital, but they are really the crazy ones!!!!

Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

I also have an older Sears 15hp Gold riding mower. It mows fine with it's belt drive mower deck and belt drive trans axle. But compared to my hydraulic drive Case Ingersoll it's a big tinny nothing. Of course $7000 difference in price tells the story.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

Oh, and if they call you crazy one more time, you'll hunt them down and kill them. :^)

Reply to
do_see

With a ten inch pine stick? lol

Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

Maybe the nut on top is not tight enough that is what usually causes that headache. I would have someone hold the bladse on bottom real tight and take a torque wrench and sling it down to 50 psi that should help

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley

Reply to
Auto Tech

[....]

torque wrenches or pneumatic impact wrenches are driven by sufficient force of air measured in 'psi' pounds/square inch in order that they might do the work of tightening with a force measured in foot pounds or inch pounds.

- hth -

Reply to
Jim

Yea, the nut on top... of the seat.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

Worked for Sears for 15 years before retiring. It was my experience that it was the other way around. Suppliers hated (not really) Sears because they required a better product than the supplier provided under it's own name. Sears bought without manufacturer's warranty and thus was stuck with the repair costs if the product didn't hold up. I doubt that Sears went for the lowest bidder as they never had a problem with marking up any product. Of course, with the current competition from the other big boxes, they may have changed their ways.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

[....]
[....]

sears the girlie-guy store with the [cheap crappy made] no name junk for sale and that's always going to be the free publicity sears gets from me.

Reply to
Jim

on 12/12/2007 7:09 PM Tom G said the following:

It doesn't matter what you claim, there are some that consider all Craftsman products as crap, with or without proof. You know, the big corporations are money hungry, thieving monopolies, and belong to the great evil empire, like the Borgs, and Microsoft. Although many claim that they never frequent these establishments, I'll bet that they do, when their local hardware store do not have what they want. although we can never confirm their claims. If I need a lot of lumber for a project, I can go locally to buy it, but guess what? They are all franchised stores; like 84 Lumber ( I thought that 84 Lumber was named that because it was near I-84 in my area, an EW Interstate, but then I saw one in Delaware), Wickes Lumber, a national chain, which recently was taken over by BradCo, HD, and Lowes. I bet these same people claim to buy all their groceries at the local storefronts, rather that the chain food stores, like Shoprite, Stop & Shop, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, etc.

Reply to
willshak

[....]
[....]

I thought 84 Lumber was named that because it stocked 84 different kinds of lumber. :)

I do still on occasion ponder where the name did arrive from.

Reply to
Jim

Ponder no more. From:

"84 Lumber Company's origins date to 1956 when Joseph A. Hardy III opened the original 'cash and carry' lumber yard in the rural town of Eighty Four, Pennsylvania,

20 miles south of Pittsburgh."
Reply to
willshak

Bill, that was like educational and informative.

thank you.

Reply to
Jim