Shop size advise needed

I'm dealing with space issues too. No matter what I end up with, I think my idea of putting a miter saw and drill press on the same stand is going to save me some space. I'm buying a portable table saw with wheels and making a picnic table with wheels into a shop table and putting peg board everywhere. I put one piece on the back of an existing bookshelf that was in the middle of the garage, so now it partitions off part for woodshop and the rest for somehing else. I like the idea of making all surfaces at the same height so that my table can serve as a surface for receiving large plywood cuts from table saw.

The main thing though is that I'm not afraid of making mistakes. That's how I learn. Sounds very basic but for me it wasn't that easy to realize ... easy to say.

Reply to
gray asphalt

clamps ... Do the flat bottom clamps really make it easier to join right angle pieces? I'm thinking picture frames and storage racke, bookcases ...

I've seen Bessey clamps on Woodsmith Shop, TV show and it looks like you don't even need a square because if the bottom of the clamp is squre then the sides are also. Is that right? If so, why use anything else?

Reply to
gray asphalt

THANK YOU, THAN YOU everybody !!!! I will go with the extra width. In fact, I am thinking of possibly making it 2.5 to 3 feet wider. This will allow me to build an exterior staircase,

2.5 to 3 feet wide, in order to easily get on top for storage. Currently I'm hauling a ladder around. A staircase (again, it's outside of the new addition) would slightly cramp the 'walk-around' area for my car hoist. I'm considering a hinged staircase that I can raise out of the way with a rope or chain. Have any of you done this? Any ideas on how to keep it light weight? Simply use a pulley system to reduce effort? Would probably only go up on top maybe once or twice a month.
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in news:hriddl$2lo$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

My grandpa has a hinged ladder for attic access in his garage. To drop it down, a rope with a couple of pulleys attaches to the moving side of the ladder. The pulleys simply change direction, I doubt there's much mechanical advantage in that system. (It's simply not needed.)

You may want to consider a set of standard attic stairs that go inside your shop. They only take up space in the attic, and when down only need a minimal amount of space. They should be available at just about any hardware store.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That or same as attic stairs...springs.