Swing out shop doors

I made temporary plywood back doors for the shop about 10 yrs ago and now they are rotting in places and need replacing. Each door is about 5' wide and 8' tall.

I had originally thought to make better more permanent ones much sooner, as I knew they would deteriorate. Rather than make them, I though to get a quote from a garage door outlet..... $9329 for just the doors, no framing, latches/locks or hinges.

Not wanting ply doors again, I'm now considering buying some aluminum panels and make my own. Some 5-6 yrs ago I purchased a new 20' wide garage door from the same company, including new lift motor and installation, for $1800. I just can't imagine the simpler double doors would cost that much more, despite price rises the past few years.

For $9K plus, I think I, myself, could build a whole new shop.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

At more than $9K, More plywood to fix the doors now and more plywood in ten years. Although in ten years a sheet of plywood may be more than that. I'd make sure nothing was growing near it.

Reply to
krw

I suspect the 20' single-wide was a stock item. Assemble the panels, apply the hardware and go. Your 10' wide double door most likely requires custom fabrication and the corresponding labor and material costs. Plus profit.

Not around here, it would cost more just to pour the foundation.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Suggestions:

  1. Make some new swing out doors. Use all green treated wood and plywood. Paint and prime thoroughly. They should last at least 10-15-20 more years.
  2. Call up your door guy again, and others in the area, and ask about stock items. What sizes are available? As Scott mentioned, your size might be custom instead of stock. Then you would need to do some carpentry to make the stock door fit.
  3. I just checked Menards and they have a single roll up garage door for about 0. Insulated. 9' wide, 8' high. I suspect you could do some easy carpentry work to make it fit your slightly wider opening. I assume when you buy a garage door it comes with the guides and rollers. Or are they extra? But still 10% of your current quote.
Reply to
russellseaton1

Judicious use of vinyl planking might be helpful.

Reply to
J. Clarke

.

...and very, very heavy. Gonna need some beefy hinges.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The back of the shop, where the doors are, is also the back of the original open car port of the old rent house. When I moved the house to this location I enlarged the garage width by 1' and length by 6' and enclosed it. That garage area is now as deep as the house/shop is wide.... and I poured a 6" slab, there, before construction. That area has 11' wide 23' long workable space, has the 8" & 16" jointers, anvil, 20" band saw and some lumber storage, plus an attic area for storage.

A roll up or typical garage door can't be installed, the interior ceiling joists are too low. There is a hang down (from ceiling joists) shelf near the doors and some dust collection hose in the mix, there, as well. The ply doors work find, just rotting in places and I thought to have new more light weight doors made, though the present weight of the doors is not a problem with 4 heavy hinges each.

What I originally thought was, might it be more convenient to buy new doors or make new ones, myself. I thought new doors' price would be within a reasonable price. $9K+ was not reasonable, but outrageous. I'll make new doors. I priced 3 sheets of treated 1/2" ply - about $60 each. I'll go look at Lowes' Fabral 5 ribbed roofing panels - 12' long, 3.14' wide, about $70 each, I need 4 panels - and see how much they weight, compared to the ply sheets.

*What I should have said earlier was, I could build a SMALL shop for $9K. A 12'X24' slab would require about 6 yards of concrete, at $150 a yard, the slab would only cost $900.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Forgot to add this link.

Sonny

It's hard to tell by the pictures if this is climate controlled space but maybe barn doors? All of the hardware is available at Tractor Supply.

Reply to
krw

I put in overhead doors with just short of an 8' ceiling. Overhead Door Company had special low-overhead rails for that purpose. It was a few bucks extra.

Plus a *lot* of labor. I want to price a couple of slabs, one behind my house (limited access) but will wait until I'm ready to spend the $$. I'm wondering what it'll cost finished. $500/yd? 1000/yd? Each would be somewhat under 3 yd (4" thick).

Reply to
krw

If weight isn't a problem then take a look at Advantech for the doors. Painted well they will last a long time. I had a piece approximately 5" X 8' long left over from some work I did and left it outside unpainted for 5 years and it had minimal damage from rain.

Reply to
swalker