R-19 in a 4 inch stud wall

Framing a small shop within my unheated shop. Small area will be heated to= constant 50=B0 to obviate rust on my machinery. Have lots and lots of R-1=

9 left over from previous projects. Need to insulate 20 feet of 2x4 stud w= all. I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation. However, if I do cr= am in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13 would have provided?

Thanks for replies, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

d to constant 50=B0 to obviate rust on my machinery. =A0Have lots and lots = of R-19 left over from previous projects. =A0Need to insulate 20 feet of 2x=

4 stud wall. =A0I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation. =A0However= , if I do cram in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13 would have pr= ovided?

The theory is that when you compress fiberglass insulation you reduce it's r factor because of increased condutivity. But I think you end up with something around r13 so if you have it handy I'd use it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

heated to constant 50° to obviate rust on my machinery. Have lots and lots of R-19 left over from previous projects. Need to insulate 20 feet of 2x4 stud wall. I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation. However, if I do cram in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13 would have provided?

--

Reply to
dpb

y unheated shop. Small area will be

fiberglass peels apart pretty easy, so it can fit well

Reply to
bob haller

unheated shop. Small area will be

There's no point, however. While there is some loss compared to full cavity thickness, the overall loss for 2x6 inserted into 2x4 cavity is less than the full-thickness starting for tubafore. IOW, as another poster noted, the net effect is less than what would get for insulation in a 2x6 wall but still higher than would have by using R11 as spec'ed for 2x4.

Reply to
dpb

constant 50° to obviate rust on my machinery. Have lots and lots of R-19 left over from previous projects. Need to insulate 20 feet of 2x4 stud wall. I know you aren't supposed to 'cram' insulation. However, if I do cram in the R-19 will I have less benefit than R-13 would have provided?

Use foam panels. There is some Polyurethane rigid panel that is almost

3x the r value of FG. ... and you don't get itchy.
Reply to
gfretwell

What in the previous did not come thru?

--

Reply to
dpb

I guess I assumed the right material was more appropriate than whatever you have left over. Rock on dude with whatever you like.

Reply to
gfretwell

y unheated shop. Small area will be

Useful table. Thanks T