Shellac.net

I wen back and reread all the related messages related to the thread that appeared on my server. In those messages there was nothing that indicated O'Denn was back in the business. What's the web site?

BTW, I'd suggest "O'Deen's "Rad" Flakes", in memory of Paul Radovanic.

Reply to
Nova

"Nova" wrote

Apparently you did not get the original post.

I went back to look it up and post it again. It seems it is off my server as well. Can someone post it again so nova can come up to speed here.

I snipped the OP for brevity. I had no idea that it would disappear.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Nova wrote,on my timestamp of 15/11/2008 1:00 PM:

No worries, Nova. I like the idea of a reference to dear old Paul. Here is the original post:

Hi Woodfinishing Mavens,

A couple of corrections, clarifications, addendum, etc.

A long time ago in a hillside estate not too far away, I owned/ operated shellac.net and distributed literally tons of flakes across the U.S., Canada and abroad (and yes, there was a time when a broad worked at packing/shipping shellac, but that's a different story for a different time). Russ Ramirez was the owner of woodfinishingsupplies.com, back in those halcyon days of rec.norm and operated a first class operation out of Rochester, MN. Russ and I had our clashes on the net, but eventually became good friends and colleagues in the business. Russ (I assume he's still out there living/breathing) is a modest guy and his withdrawing both from small business and this newsgroup was a loss.

Let's not confuse Russ with Ron Ashby (woodfinishsupply.com, of Fort Bragg), the guy who purchased the shellac.net domain and my shellac inventory back in the late spring of 2001. At the time, shellac.net was grossing $5K/month on average, once spiking at nearly $7,000 in one month. That's a lot of shellac. The terms of the sale to Mr. Ashby were that he would purchase the inventory at wholesale cost, and then pay a commission on sales generated by shellac.net. Well according to his records, sales from shellac.net plummeted from a robust $5k monthly, to about $400/month. Clearly shellac sales through that site were the harbinger of the current economic crisis, as the sales dropped more than 90%. Obviously the shellac.net name carried no goodwill with it. Shame. The alternative is unthinkable, that someone would deliberately under-report sales in order to weasel out of paying commissions. No way; my brain won't even go there.

'Course, given that worthless site, it makes a feller wonder why someone would re-open at the same address when sales were previously so dismal? It's a puzzler.

No worries. I've been in contact with my original suppliers, and am working on getting back to providing Paddylac (TM) to the teeming masses... oh yeah, at prices that'll blow the current shellac.net out the water. ;) It's not personal, it's business.

Maybe we could have a site-naming contest right here, the winner to get free shellac for life? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Stay tuned... Paddyo

Reply to
Noons

My Name choice is SHELLACWORKS

Reply to
henry

Did anyone get shellacattack, yet?

Reply to
-MIKE-

My goodness, but that is a prolific list of trade names from all of youse. Thanks! Still leaning towards paddylac.com ;)

O'Deen

Just say I still have some 7-year old shellac flakes that are serving me well, as I put the finishing touches on some moulding around the house.

Reply to
paddychulo

Paddy, That's good to hear as I still have quite a bit of "paddylac" I bought from you stored in the dark and in AC. Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

Reply to
Jim Northey

Aye.

'Tis simplicity yer after.

PaddyLac will do jest fine.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Hi Paddy, Yesterday I took a quart of denatured alcohol and mixed in 1 cup (about a 1 pound cut per Paul Rad's measured as opposed to weighed mixing directions) using 7/8 super blonde and 1/8 dewaxed lemon... my question is today with frequent agitation there is a substantial amount of undissolved flakes left. Does this suggest that the flakes are past prime, or that I'm impatient ; My goodness, but that is a prolific list of trade names from all of

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

The shellac not being dissolved after 24 hours is not uncommon, especially if the flakes clumped together in the beginning. Give it a few days.

If I'm in a hurry to have the flakes dissolve I'll run them through an old coffee mill prior to adding them to the alcohol.

Reply to
Nova

Thanks Nova... Patience isn't my greatest Blessing... and it's colder here than Florida. Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

I put mine in an old rock grinder that I have.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Yep, I started using a coffee bean grinder and never looked back. I use the little electric deal with the super fast spinning blades that just does about 1/4 cup at a time. It powderizes those babies in an instant and then they dissolve in the alco right away. I still strain it to get any flecks or bug shells.

Would the fact the Mason jar is full to the brim limit dissolution?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

A baggie and a hammer works as well.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I don't see how you could call it anything else. Welcome back, it's good to hear from you.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson