Shelf Pin Jig And A Whole Lot Of Green Tools - Leon's Nephew, Perhaps?

For good ideas. Always. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I thought he was referring to "K"arl, AKA Swingman. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I've seen them on Amazon, too.

Reply to
krw

I paid $20 for about 25' of pool cleaning hose, plus a ~ 15' aluminum pole. Craigslist. I've got about 15' of the hose running along the ceiling of my shop.

Haven't found a use for the pole yet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's certainly an alternative. This just needs a little longer hose than if a boom were used. It's just a matter of how far you need to go, whether the longer hose is going to get hung up on anything.

Craigslist, of course. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I knew Festering hoses cost as much as my first car, but damn, how much do those suckers weigh? My guess is the worlds cheapest castor could handle this task?

My self, I just clamp a stick vertically on my table with 2 handscrews, clamp the end of my dust collector hose to the top of the stick with a hose clamp, and then plug in my sander hose to that. Works like a charm. I can set it up or take down in about a minute or so and nothing hanging around to bother me. This idea seems pretty good though, depending on how much your hose weighs of course...

Reply to
Jack

I enjoy looking at their creative ways of separating fools and their money!!! Actually, I wasn't looking at Festering tools, I was looking at wood stuff on Pinterest and up popped this thing with green hose. I remembered it and fed it to Kevin as he seemed to need some inspiration.

The snide $million hose remark was for you, and other festering tool fanatics with fat wallets and $700 shop vacs...

Reply to
Jack

You're not supposed to hang your shop vac from the thing, just the hose...

Reply to
Jack

No kidding Jack, I would'a never figured that out.

Pinterest. LOL

Reply to
Leon

If he was really into woodworking, before he nailed his shelves together with a festering nail gun, he would simply mark one edge of the shelf side where he wanted the pins, transferred the marks to the other side and other side board, set his drill press fence to the setback he wanted the pins, marked the fence so the holes go where the marks are and drilled away. It's pretty much exactly what drill presses are for. If he don't have a drill press, he could sell his Festering shop vac or festering LR32 and buy one plus half dozen or so other useful, non festering tools.

-- Jack Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Jack

Do you know anything about physics?

Reply to
krw

Your jealousy is noted.

Reply to
krw

Don't recall ever having one.

Whats having a physic got to do with hanging a shop vac from a boom?

Trust me, just hang the hose, not the whole shebang. The caster should work fine for probably 100 years or so, at which time you won't care if it starts to fail and needs replaced.

Reply to
Jack

Leverage is the issue. The longer the boom the greater the small amount of weight, at the end of that boom, will exert. Add to that the user pulling past the stretch of the hose.

Not saying your are wrong.

Reply to
Leon

Starting to fail is one thing. Rapid failure sucks, depending on what you are doing when the thing comes crashing down. Hopefully there will be warning signs of a failure for whoever is using Leon's garage 100 years from now.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Obviously you haven't even considered it.

I think you're wrong. The bearing is being used in a way is specifically not designed to be used. Instead of gravity holding the thing together, it's trying to pull it apart. The torque on the bearing multiplies the forces. But you've never heard of Physics and likely haven't heard of "engineering" either, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Reply to
krw

Yes, leverage is the issue, so don't hang the heavy shop vac from the boom, just the hose. Should last a lifetime, even with a HF castor, assuming they sell these castors.

Reply to
Jack

Hopefully you are only hit with a vac hose, and not the whole, $700 festering vac you have hanging from the boom.

Reply to
Jack

I understand you need to get your nose out of your high school books and use some common sense. People are doing exactly this all the time and it apparently works. The casters are made to hold up a fat ass, true, but a little torque from a short boom holding a light plastic hose should be no problem, as demonstrated in the link I provided.

I suggest you set up a lever, bolt down the caster as try to pull it apart. Measure the force need to pull it apart, then calculate the amount of force that would be applied from the hose/boom thing. If the force is remotely close to that required to pull apart the castor, come up with another idea, and post it on the festering tool site.

Be sure to tell the other festering tool guy using the boom that what he is doing won't work.

Reply to
Jack

But you are.

Reply to