Semi-gloat (red oak)

I've wanted to post a gloat here for years and finally fell into at least a semi-gloat this weekend, in the form of a classified ad listing all sorts of junk that included "500+ board feet of oak lumber, $1/ft." Turns out he'd overestimated the size of the stack, but in the end I drove away with about 325-350 board feet of 3/4 plain sawn red oak in widths from 8-12" for $300. Some of the boards are quite nice, all of it's servicable and will work well for the kitchen and library projects I have planned for summer.

FWIW, red oak boards run about $6/bd ft in the home centers here, and $2.50/bd ft in the rough from local hardwood sellers.

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

If you actually need the wood it is a gloat. If you don't it isn't.

I regularly see red oak for for $0.50/bf at auctions. I don't buy it because I have too much wood laying around already. (the 100bf of walnut I have drying won't help any)

Reply to
Toller

Yeah, that's a good one.. you lucky bastard.. Enjoy it.

Reply to
bf

Oh, yeah-- I needed it. My oak supply was down to about nothing and I'm doing face frames/doors for a kitchen and a new library project this summer. Toss in a few extra projects and I was planning to but 150-200 bd ft at some point this summer, likely from one of the local guys that sells for $2+. The last time I saw red oak at an auction it went for closer to $3/ft by the time bidding was over. Too many people chasing too little lumber around here I think!

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda