Did I get a decent price on my QS Red Oak?

Found a guy in Norfolk, VA who has just added to his tree cutting service and has started a lumber business along side it. He has a "Wood-Mizer" and just got his Kiln on-line. Came to an agreement with him for 200bft of QS Red Oak @ $1.75bdft after some haggling. It would cost me extra and a long delay to have him dry it for me. But the logs he cut it off were harvested by a him a long while ago and the Moisture content is running between 14 - 16% in the boards; so I took it at the above price and I'll let it dry the rest of the way in my Garaaashop. Did I get a fair price for only partially cured QS Red Oak? My other lumber place here doesn't carry QS Red Oak and their non-QS Kiln dried R.O. goes for about $2.60bdft.

Joey in Chesapeake

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Is this a gloat disguised as a question? :-)

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

If you feel you got a good deal that is all that matters. I can get the same S3S dried to 6~8% for about $3.65. S3S regular Red oak for about $3.25. Location has a lot to do with the price you will pay.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, I would say you got a good deal. Doesn't cost you a thing to let it dry.

Reply to
CW

The lumber dealer I normally buy from sells flat sawn red oak for $2.60 bd/ft also. He carries quarter sawn red oak and sells it for $6.60. I'd say you got a good price.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Damn, I was just in Chesapeake Memorial Day weekend having some red oak and red maple sawed. I ended up leaving an awful lot of the maple and oak because I couldn't haul it. Also left a VERY large yellow poplar because the tractor couldn't move it. Cost me $275 to have about 700 bd ft of maple and oak sawn (wood-mizer brought on-site). Pics of my loaded truck and trailer ready to be hauled back to GA can be seen at

Odinn

Reply to
Wilson

Actual inflation is probably running 15%/yr. so add 15% to that price you get and you still don't have KD wood.

Reply to
Rumpty