Firewood --- Did I get a good deal?

Wal Mart advertises "lowest prices - always" so I bought a cord of firewood there. I know it is the lowest price because, wee, they say so in their advertising.

It came in cute little bundles of 3/4 cubic foot so I bought 171 of them at $8.97 each. Total came to $1533.87 plus tax for the cord. Yep, a couple cords of that wood and I'm going to beat the high cost of oil this year.

The pallet I saw was still full. Perhaps people really do have some common sense and won't pay those prices.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You bet I will be right down to fill up my stack. NOT

Reply to
SQLit

If you have one or two ornamental fires a year, it is a good deal. I expect many people wouldn't have any idea where to find it otherwise.

Personally I only use black locust I find in the street after storms; they leave it cut up, if only they would split it... I have 14 acres of oak and maple, but I just let that rot cause there's nothing like BL.

Reply to
Toller

@#$%!^& $8.95 for less than a cubic foot? I thought $5.95 was robbery.

Funny how Walmart advertises those dropping prices, but they don't explain that the price never get near zero. They do drop the prices, but they magically seem to go back up after a little while.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This is Turtle.

I may get ripped off but here is a deal I have on fire wood. A customer offered the trees that fell on his land, splitter, tractor and trailor to haul it, and everything is their waiting for me to start with 5 trees already down for me. Now here comes the cost that I will have to worry about. I have to furnish my chain saw and burn the fuel and oil for to cut it up. Do you think I will come out a head if I have to furnish the gas and oil for my chain saw ? This is a hard one to figure but do you really think I can come out a head on this deal ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"If you have one or two ornamental fires a year, it is a good deal. I expect many people wouldn't have any idea where to find it otherwise. "

$8.97 for 3/4 of c a cubic foot is a good deal? You can find small bundles for a lot less than that even here in NJ.

Reply to
trader4

"TURTLE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

you're kidding right?

Reply to
nevermind

I can't imagine that *any* chain retail store could compete with local prices with something like firewood. Simply due to the large amount of space it takes up and shipping costs.

These stores have regional distribution centers, so they would have to ship the cord of wood to a distribution center, then ship it to a store from there -vs- Local: Just truck it a few miles.

And then you would need to "package" it for easy transportation somehow. Maybe stack a load on a pallet and tie it down with metal bands or shrink wrap it. This would take time and materials and also add to the cost. Locally, it is just "pile it into the back of a pick-up".

Reply to
Bill

Hell, if he's going to furnish all that, I'd make him cut it up. And stack it at my house, too.

Use your own chainsaw and $19 in gas? Yeah, right!

The guy is obviously a louse.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Let me guess, the firewood was from China.

Reply to
FDR

Dunno, I bought a cord for $180 about five years ago. I've used about a quarter of it. ;-) Even though I live in cold-country (northern Vermont) the wood stove will chase me out if it's above about 0F. The thing has an ornamental window, so I can't let it burn down too far before re-lighting it or the smoke will get burnt onto the window. What a PITA!

Bastard! Here that stuff goes for big bux!

Reply to
keith

$19 for gas? that's nearly 8 gallons. I use to cut 3 cords a year and never used more than 2 gallons of gas. If you use that much gas I'd go commercial and start selling fire wood.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Bill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

snip But isn't there a law or regulation that prohibits the interstate sale of firewood due to insect/disease etcetera.

Reply to
nevermind

I don't know. The Wal Mart stuff is bark free and kiln dried and probably treated too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Home depot sells the same crap around here in NY.

Its sad....

Reply to
BocesLib

Oh, I know. I cry every time I see a pile of bad firewood that they are selling to people for about $8 per cubic foot. I get all misty inside just talking about it. Particularly when you can buy a cord of firewood for a lot less. We need to contact our legislators to put an end to such sad behavior.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. I just had an idea. If everyone would just stop buying the $8 bundles, they would quit selling them, right?

But all the people who buy for convenience, or for that twice a year "ambience" fire would keep buying them. We need to find these people and make them STOP!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ok.

No, no, no! We must make it *illegal* to sell what these people

*want*. We know what's good for them.
Reply to
Keith Williams

At the risk of sounding like a liberal, HELL YES! We need to keep these people from themselves!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB