Wood in Los Angeles

Where do you other guys buy wood out here. I'm looking for a few hundred BF of various HWs for upcoming projects. I know SM House of Hardwoods.. not open Saturday anymore and really their selection is soso ... I've heard about Bonhoffs need to get there.. again not open on the weekend. Any mills within a few hundred miles? I'm coming to realize the lack of excellent wood selection is as big of a hindrance to craftsmanship, as a lack of craftsmanship

Reply to
Lee

Lee -

Amen to that!.... I am *green* with envy when I read about gloats our Eastern brethren post regarding quality, quantity and prices for those hardwoods. Someone posted a gloat over some oak a while back and I just had to grit my damn teeth... Some of the prices out there almost seem like they taunt you to join the chumps hall of fame...

Hey - this idea just popped into my head... As a counter to trollish posts and NOISE... how about folks post a simple subject line post with type/qty/price/location. I just hope folks are brutally honest about their posts, otherwise it kinda defeats the porpoise, and is kinda.... fishy.... If any of the rec'rs want more info, they can post or email.

Okay, I'll start! See my next post...

John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

Reply to
John Moorhead

I bought of 500 board feet of 5/4 red oak for $350 today. Nearly all clear, with widths up to 18". I can hear your teeth gritting from here. (I also got 30 bf of nice S2S 4/4 cherry for $40, but that was merely a good buy.)

Reply to
John

Lee,

Try Lane Stanton Vance in the City of Industry. They are open until noon on Saturdays. If you call ahead they will give you a very competive quote.

will do the same however, as you said, they are not open on weekends.

Dave

TeamCasa

Reel Lumber in Anaheim, open on Saurday until noon.

Reply to
Rossmoor Don