Seeking comments on HVLP sprayer

I saw a $99 sale on a single turbine HVLP spray gun at a Woodworking store It included the gun, compressor, hose, viscosity cup and a few accessories. I would want to use it in a middle school wood tech lab to spray "Deft".

Any comments pro or con. Yes I would love to have a 3 stage unit but budget constraints won't allow it. :-(

Reply to
Sam Soltan

I thought Deft was formulated for brushing. Does the label suggest spraying it? I know they also have aerosol cans of Deft, but I was under the impression that the brushable version doesn't spray properly. I know I heard that "SOMEWHERE", but can't recall. Chances are someone he will correct me! :) Be aware that it is gonna be highly combustible so you shouldn't be spraying it without ventilation and if you use a fan it needs to be an explosion proof type. Don't blow up the school!

dave

Sam Soltan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I think Deft has retarders or something that makes it flow better when it is brushed but I have sprayed it many times with a cheap cup-syphon gun with very nice results. Thinned about 75/25 and about 30 psi or so. It is all I use.

Regards, Charlie in Kentucky

Reply to
Charlie Campney

accessories.

I haven't used the $99 version of an HVLP unit, but the $150 version from Campbell Hausfeld (perhaps made with the same Chinese/Taiwanese parts, and in the same factory) works very well for my limited spraying purposes ... primarily spraying shellac.

You get what you pay for, but if your use is limited to the ocassional spray job, and once you get your adjustments dialed in, it will certainly do what the more expensive units will do ... but perhaps with a bit more fuss in the adjustment stage, which may even be of more educational benefit in the long run.

Reply to
Swingman

Sam,

I use a hvlp system in my vintage and antique travel trailer restorations and love them. It's a great sprayer for solid colors and clears. I do have doubts about a $100.00 system especially in a school enviroment. You might watch ebay or your local want ads. We got our unit lightly used for $200.00. A friend of mine uses this one :

was 399.00 last time I looked but is now $423.00 with shipping. I would keep an eye out for a used system.

Good luck,

AZCRAIG

accessories.

Reply to
cm

Hi Sam

I switched from convention spraying to turbine powered HVLP several years ago. Both Harbor Freight and Rockler have

Reply to
Mike G

thanks for setting the record straight on Deft, Charlie. I had a feeling I wasn't totally correct on Deft's sprayability...

dave

Charlie Campney wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
Dennis Johnson

I thought "Wagner" and "excellent results" were mutually exclusive terms! I've got a Wanker up in the attic I'd sell for $3. Friends and family I know have gotten Wankers and exiled them to the deepest, darkest recesses of closets, attics, and sheds, rather than ruin another project. However, let me state for the record, that I'm too gun shy to try another Wanker product and so haven't used a Finecoat.

Don't freak out at my comments, Dennis, I'm just messing with ya! :)

dave

Dennis Johns> I bought a Wagner Finecoat for about $200 several years ago and have

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Deft makes/made a "brushable" and "spray" version of it's nitrocellulose lacquer. As you note the brushable version probably does contain retarders but they would be to slow the cure rather then getting a better flow. Though a case can be made for the two being the same thing.

In the last several months I've noticed the "spray" version has disappeared from the local shelves and has been replaced with the brushable version.

Deft being my nitrocellulose lacquer of choice I did some checking. They are only selling brushable now. They still advertise it as having excellent spraying qualities, and it is still thinned with lacquer thinner.

All in all a delayed cure can be of benefit since it will allow more time for any trapped bubbles to escape and more time for self leveling, hopefully making it even better resistant to orange peel.

As a side note, you are right on the money relating to thinning. Deft recommends, for better spray results, thinning 20% to 30%. Of course there is that first little bit, but that's another story.

Reply to
Mike G

I don't know what was or wasn't posted several years ago but the post would have made sense then since to make a nitrocellulose lacquer brush you have to slow the cure which lacquer thinner would not do. It would have had to have been a proprietary retarder.

Evidently, sometime in the last year, Deft has taken to making only brush lacquer which can be thinned with lacquer thinner for spraying. A quick read of the first line of their thinning instructions makes it clear that this is pretty much due to environmental factors.

Reply to
Mike G