REQ Advice: Which T-Track to buy

I'm building a router table and have done some research on t-track to use for the fence and miter slot. At this point I'm confused as to which vendor to buy from. I've looked at track from MLCS, Rockler and Woodpeck. They all appear to be different sizes and incompatible with each other. Does anyone have advice on which vendor to pick?

My router table will be an extension wing on the table saw. I'm using a Woodpeck plungelift and a Dewalt 621 router I picked up at a pawn shop. I plan to make a split fence that slides on t-track and has a track for installing featherboards, stops, etc. I don't have an incra fence but I may add an incra jig ultra next year....

I mostly plan on doing raised panel doors and joinery.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Reply to
todd1814

On 24 May 2004 19:44:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (todd1814) brought forth from the murky depths:

Keep researching. T-track is shaped with an upside down T opening. Flatheaded bolts slide into them and hold things in position. They're used for movable stops, fences, etc. [Figure B]

U track is what miter gauges freely slide on. [Figure A]

Most featherboards work in U tracks and expand to the sides to bind from moving once positioned.

Goto

, Search for "track", Click on "Jig & Fixture Extrusions". [Figures A-C shown here]

Lee Valley also has good pricing on various knobs, bolts, threaded rod, etc. for jigging and fixturing.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I can't remember the brand name, but I use stuff that comes from Woodcraft in clear tubes with red ends. My only criteria was that a standard miter gauge would run in it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The Rockler offering is good quality, and they have plenty of the fixtures that go along with it. I went with Rockler because I trust them to have compatible products down the road.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

There are MANY suppliers of T track and one of the magazines(FWW I think) did a nice little story on this exact subject...

todd1814 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Wayne replied to my similar question, about a recent review of T-track, by writing "American Woodworker magazine issue #107 for May 2004 had one. It was all t-track." I found the article. Their best pick was Incra's t-track.

As for _miter_ track, I have no idea.

Reply to
Brian Siano

Larry,

Thanks for the info and taking the time to answer. One thing I want to point out though, is that T-Track is also used for Miter slots. Some tablesaws come with a machined T miter and several companies make T miter track you can drop into a router/drill press/etc table.

todd1814

Get a standard 3/4 x 3/8 Ttrack that will take all the fittings/gauges/etc that you have for your table saw.

Avoid the mini-tracks, as they will require special fittings on feather boards/miter guages/etc

John

Reply to
John

Yes, they have various knobs and T-tracks. I use their knobs and also T-tracks. They are much cheaper than Woodcraft, Price Cutters, MLCS.

Reply to
WD

Reply to
DIYGUY

On 25 May 2004 16:39:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (todd1814) brought forth from the murky depths:

I took one "feel" of one (eons ago) and said "Feh!" Incra's use of a UMHW PE slide might make theirs worthwhile for jigs, and the price ain't too shabby, is it?

Wow, their jig knob selection is inexpensive (1/3 LVT prices!), too. (Hmmm, where's my short crowbar?)

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Unistrut P7000 or B-Line B72 - 3/4 X 3/8 T-Track. Special order at lowes or available at some electircal supply houses. About $1.20 or so per foot in 10 foot lengths. Bring a hacksaw :)

Reply to
Jay