Sears, Craftsman, Stanley, and China

We could also have a pissing contest on some loosely used terminology. You go first. Oh, Ok, you win.

If Stanley decides not to do anything with the brand that

Probably, I thought it was money down the drain, but I'm not in the business and was not part of the negotiations. Anything here is speculation. Neither of us has facts.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Beats me IMO, had they waited a while they could have gotten the use of the Craftsman name for 50 bucks cash. Sears has been gone and in death throes for years. Slow at first, but picking up speed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When Sears goes into receivership, the courts decide who gets what and for how much. It might get messy. If they think the brand has value (and it does, though perhaps not with those in this forum), it's better to remove doubt, not to mention try to salvage the name before Sears has a real chance to savage it.

Reply to
krw

This started out with me providing some facts.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Some facts. My guess is the post here did not have all the details of the agreement.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe from SBD's presentation for analyst's at the time of the merger?

Presentation leading bullets were:

Stanley Black & Decker To Purchase Craftsman Brand From Sears Holdings? ?Obtaining Rights To Develop, Manufacture And Sell Craftsman Brand In Non-Sears Retail, Industrial & Online Channels ?Sears To Continue Developing, Sourcing & Selling Craftsman In All Sears Retail Channels Under Perpetual License Agreement ?SBD To Significantly Increase Availability And Innovation Of Craftsman Products And Add Manufacturing In the U.S. To Support Growth ...

The one I think they're dreaming over is "To contribute ~$100M Of Average Annual Revenue Growth Per Year For Approximately Next Ten Years"

Link provided earlier for rest...

Reply to
dpb

And you believe news blurbs intended for investors? If it's in the press, it's wrong.

Reply to
krw

On 05/22/2017 11:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

Au contraire...if corporation were to _deliberately_ mislead financial press it's certain route to self-destruction of investor confidence and hence stock price, etc., etc., etc., ...

In extreme, that could also lead to serious difficulties with SEC.

Remember when Enron tried that?

Reply to
dpb

Something to that. Between incomplete reporting, reporting before all fina l facts are known, and using poor resources, sometimes it is hard to know w hat is current, factual, and applicable.

It will be interesting to see what happens to their investment over the nex t several years. The Craftsman name has value due to its provenance and the idea that certain of their tools will have a worry free lifetime warranty.

What if they use the Ridgid scenario and tools purchased from different ven dors carry different warranties, even if it is the same exact product? Wil l each vendor have to honor a "Craftsman" sale? The local ACE hardware tha t sells Craftsman now (franchisee, not national store) does not honor Sears pricing from the weekly sales circular!

If it wasn't so sad to see the demise of a company I thought so highly of i n the 60s and 70s, I would be glad to get the popcorn and watch the cats fi ght this one out.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

There is a big difference in pulling the shades over investor's eyes and handing them a really cool pair of pink eyeglasses.

Reply to
krw

The "worry free warranty" has been suspect for a few decades. It seems to vary by store and perhaps even manager on duty.

Purchased by individuals from different stores? If that's what you mean, I wouldn't be surprised by it at all. I certainly wouldn't expect an ACE Hardware store to replace a ratchet bought at Sears. I really don't expect them to be the same tools, in fact.

There comes a point where it's just time to put it out of its misery. Sears crossed that line for me at least 15 years ago. They seem to try to piss me off every time I go into a store.

Reply to
krw

I happened to visit Sears today. They offered me $10 (off my next purchase of $30) for my email address. I declined, I remember the last time I gave them an email address, I was spammed for years...

Reply to
Bill

Give 'em yer worst enemies email address! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

15 years? It has been ar least 35 for me. Got the Sears Christmas catalog and we ordered a bunch fo stuff. When I ent to pick up the order they had one of about 15 items ordered. I've not been back since.

I do have some 50 year old Craftsman tool though and like the more than most tools made today.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

40 yrs, here! ....and I once worked for 'em.

I was wrenching on a motorcycle and the 10mm Craftsman combo wrench I was using, broke. Half the open-end jes snapped off. Back then, Craftsman replaced any broken items, immediately. Unfortunately, the closest Sears was almost 100 miles away. 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

One of the guys I work with had a crazy ex who did that, and worse. She gave out his cell number to text spammers, too, but none of that came close to the poisoned cake.

Reply to
krw