Rumford Fireplace?

Is this style of fireplace still considered to be the most efficient? I'm partial to open fires (not behind glass doors) and was wondering what the most energy efficient styles were.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I am going to have one of these in my new house. From what I have been able to find on the net, it is the most efficient. My only problem has been finding people who know about the Rumford.

Reply to
John Smith

I put one of these into a patio fireplace, and I was very pleased by its efficiency. Starts easily, burns clean, and radiates heat in a nice wide arc. Because it draws so well, you build a fire a little differently than you would with a conventional fireplace - you make a sort of tall pyramid of kindling and logs, leaning against the back of the firebox.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

I'm planning on building an outdoor Kiva fireplace in the Rumford fashion. I'm finding the site

to be helpful with plans and such. I've also found a local supplier of the parts that is adding great advice. I personally think this is the way to go in terms of building a fireplace. If you're after pure heat, put in a pellet stove. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The Rumford sounds like the best compromise between efficiency and ambience. Thanks for the input all.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Rumford's fireplace has never been _efficient_, even when he first studied the design. It's intended to draw well and to not let smoke into the room, which it does well. There are any number of later designs which work as well or better, the concept of the "smoke shelf" being important and worth keeping, but Rumford's proportion rules can be improved for modern room sizes.

if you want efficiency, go for a closed box stove. If you're burning wood you really do need this closed box, and you want good baffles too so that any resin content burns efficiently.

In some localities there are also relevant building regulations you might be forced to obey, particularly for lining the flues of woodstoves.

Reply to
Andy Dingley