Router table top

Would the new 3/4 Phenolic Plywood avail. at Woodcraft be a better solution than 2 pcs. of 3/4 MDF laminated both sides?

The top is part of a table saw extension mounted on plates running the length of the rails. The top will be approx 2' X 2'. I am hanging a Triton 2-1/4 hp.

Reply to
Alan

Hello Alan, Other folks may have differing opinions but I think 3/4 inch not thick enough to prevent sag unless you rib it with a few pieces of dimensional lumber. The surface of the phenolic stuff would be ideal, just make sure that you have enough strcture underneath. Also, think about what would occur if you added a groove for a miter slot. Better to go thicker or go with a good infrastructure. (Wow, I finally got to use that word in a sentence.) On a different note, a freind of mine wants me to make a bathroom vanity from birch plywood and paint it white. I showed her the phenolic ply and she preferred that to the paint only so that's the way I'm going to proceed. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Got to agree with Marc. The Triton is light for a large router, but hanging there over time, it's probably going to create warp. That said, you shouldn't have too much difficulty working out a bracing framework.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hello Alan, Other folks may have differing opinions but I think 3/4 inch not thick enough to prevent sag unless you rib it with a few pieces of dimensional lumber.

Agree. Why take a chance on a, hopefully, once in a lifetime project, the table of your dreams.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski