Router Table top

I'm planning on building a new router table, after my Crapsman router shorted out and I realized that Crapsman's idea of a "universal" router table means it will fit any other Crapsman routers, but not many others, including Bosch or Hitachi. I learned a long time ago not to buy any more Crapsman tools, but I'm still paying the price for it.

Anyway, I'm going to use MDF for most of the construction, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to use for the top surface. More importantly, where can I buy it from? I was thinking of using a laminate counter top, but they're about $50 for a 4 x 8 sheet at the local Lowe's. Any advice will be appreciated, especially if there's a link attached.

Keep on cuttin'!

Reply to
Dan Stuepfert

Dan,

Certainly you can laminate the MDF with some Formica but take a look at Pat Warner's site

for some of his ideas.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

MDO. Shellac the paper when you're done.

Works good, slides fine, lasts a long time.

Reply to
George

Go to a real lumberyard, they can get a piece as small as 2'x4' for you in short order.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

I bought a top from Woodhaven. It wasn't cheap but good stuff rarely is.

You owe it to yourself to at least take a look at

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I built my router table from two sheets of 3/4" plywood (glued & screwed together) covered on the top and bottom with plastic laminate sheet, and banded in solid oak. The laminate sheet is about $20-$25 for a 4x8 sheet if memory serves. Available in many colors at the Borg. If you don't like their color selection in stock, walk over to the kitchen cabinet geeks and they'll show you every color ever made, available for order.

For work, we just ordered the Rockler benchtop router table. Looks like everything we need. Might be worth considering if you are less than enthusiastic about building your own. Long link, hope it works:

gave away my Craftsman router table. The lack of a real fence made it feeble. It was sturdy enough, but just too inaccurate. I've got no problem with my Craftsman routers. Both are serving me well. I've got a PC as well, and just ordered the fixed/plunge Dewalt combo model. A man can never have too many routers (per Norm).

Good luck.

Reply to
Robert

check out the cabinet shops in your area. they may be able to help you with a corian sink cut out. thats what i made mine out of and its holding up real well. i used three peices and left the spacing inbetween so that my tablesaw miter guage fits in the slot. a local steel yard helped me with a 2x2 square aluminum tube to make the fence out of. i mounted the router directly to the top and eliminated the need for a base plate. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

You can use MDF for the top and secure it with 4 screws. When it wears out, flip it over and use the other side. When that wears out, replace it. Or, you could use contact cement and buy some laminant scrap from a home improvement store for a few dollars.

Reply to
Phisherman

Dan,

I double laminated mine with 2 - 2' x 4' pieces of formica from the Borg. They cost $10 a piece. For less than half the price you mentioned, you still have a fairly big table, with a top quality top.

Reply to
WoodChuck34