Router table tenons

Hello all!

I have decided to try to make tenons on my router table. For practice, I used some pine I had lying around. I found that I got great deal of tear-out when the bit was leaving the workpiece.

I'm new to the finer points of WW, so I ask your advice. What are the possible causes for this tear-out? What can I do to avoid it in the future?

Also, is this specific to pine, or can I expect this type of problem with oak, maple, etc.?

Thank you for your help! JC

Reply to
JC

back up the workpiece with a sacrifical piece, JC.

what kinda bit are you using?

are you trying to do it all in one pass?

dave

JC wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

It can happen with any wood. Three possible things to do. Take smaller cuts (helps, but not a 100% cure) Cut the backend in a little, then complete the cut in the proper direction. Put a scrap piece against the back and let that chip out.

#3 is probably the best. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try wrapping the wood with masking tape, such that cutting the tenon removes some of the tape but leaves most of it. Wrap tight, and only one layer (put the gap in the middle of one of the cheeks). This should reduce the tear-out somewhat. However, a backing piece should also be used.

It happens with many types of wood.

Another option is to score the wood with a knife before routing. If you can get the score on the right spot, it may help.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Cut the shoulder on the TS first, then use the router for the tenon. Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Reply to
Jules

Usually the climb cut will buy you some immunity, but on the router table: Expect surprises. Done with the hand router, they can be quite crisp & tearout free, see photo link:

Reply to
Routerman P. Warner