Router table/Shaper Recommendation

I am thinking abougetting a shaper instead of a router table. Does anyone have any experience with them? I am looking at the Grizzly

3HP. Would that be a good one or would the 1 1/2HP be sufficient? what about other brands?

TIA

Reply to
Anon

I have the 1 1/2HP Grizzly and feel like it is more than adequate for any job a home shop would need. The shaper is secured to a ShopFox mobile base and this helps to stabilize the shaper (bigger foot print). The savings of

400.00 will buy you the shaper cutters, adapters etc you will need.
Reply to
Seeker

The small one will be adequate for a one/two person shop and short production runs. Mine's the old Delta everyone's copied, and it's done a lot. Don't expect to do crown moldings and such in one pass, though. A

3/4" spindle's not that capable. Mine is on a home-built cabinet with lockable casters and storage underneath, because I can't afford to store dead air in a small home shop. The secondary tabletop which locks into the miter groove and at the edges is designed at the same height as my tablesaw, and sturdy enough to use as an assembly bench.

You'll still want a router table, but I'm not sure anyone needs more than an extended base with legs.

Reply to
George

Cannot speak about the shaper but I have had great luck with Griz

Reply to
RonB