ROUTER QUESTION...

I am about to purchase a router to use with my router table. I already have two Craftsman routers.I would like to upgrade to at least 2 hp and variable speed.I know that Craftsman or Skil have good prices for those features.My question is--will they do a decent enough job vs. the higher priced name brands?Or, is there a good router on the market that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Any comments would be appreciated.Thanks.

Reply to
1ko

There was a great buy on the Hitachi M12V (which I use in my router table) at Amazon.com a few weeks ago! I got a Bosch fixed-base router (1617EVS) on sale a few weeks ago. In my experience you won't regret buying either of these, but the Craftsman are usually over-priced for the quality of machines they sell.

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC

There is one feature that Craftsman offers that most other companies don't, RVHA. Most Craftsman routers have it.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

That's ARHA.

Yes, it's a Sears exclusive.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Ok I'll bite what the heck is ARHA?

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Once you use one of the higher end routers like the PC. You'll never go back to Skil or Craftsman.. I have Hitachi, Makita, Dewalt and PC. You'll have to take the PC 895PK from my cold dead hands! LOL Once I started using the new PC, it's the best set I've had.

Reply to
Bill Everette

There is more to getting a quality cut that just spinning a bit really fast. Had a Craftsman. Gave it away. Consider a Bosch 1617EVS. It really does make a difference. You will be h appy with a PC or DeWalt also.

. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I second that.

Reply to
Hubby

I couldn't agree with Brian more! The M12V is still on sale too with ALL OF THE ACCESSORIES and NO shipping costs. Search google and you will see alot of us here have a M12V.

Step up, copy and repaste this link into your browser:

aren't many sure things in life, but one thing is: the m12v is a tool, and the craftsman router is a toy.

Fighting the urge to repaint all of the tools in my shop green, SS

Reply to
Sam Schmenk

When we built our router table in class, our instructor suggested a router with at least 3HP. So with that suggestion, it narrows the field.

Reply to
Wilson

Automatic Random Height Adjustment. The Craftsman router collets are very badly designed and allow the bits to slip. The third time I saw it happen I returned the unit. Sears wanted to give me a replacement. My answer was that the design was obviously bad and I didn't want my family to need to sue them after I was killed when a bit came all the way out and still spinning at 25000 RPM. I got my money back on a 3 year old (lightly used) router. I now have 3 PC routers and am verrrry happy with them.

Len

-----------------

James D Kountz wrote:

Reply to
lopez

"Wilson" wrote in news:GPQRb.6990$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

If you are going to dedicate a router to the table, that makes sense. But if you're going to share it between table use & hand-held, then a 2+ HP router is a better compromise between power for the table & light weight & ease of handling for outside the table.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Reply to
Wilson

Get the Hitachi M12V. It's all the horsepower you will ever need, variable speed, soft start, and a good price. I have used one in my router table for a few years now.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

When I built my router table last year, I bought the PC 7518 on the advice of a friend. Probably falls into the arm and leg category costwise. LIKE BUTTAH!!!! I love it. Though it hurt coming up with the scratch, I haven't regretted it. I've got an old Craftsman that I use to hold down one end of a shelf in my router cabinet. Also comes in handy when one of the neighbors needs to borrow a router. :)

Reply to
Kevin Carbis

A quick Google search came up with "Australian Reproductive Health Alliance". I don't know what that is, but "reproductive health" and "router" just don't mix well!

Reply to
Guppas!

me either. I love the 7518. In fact it was running about 5 minutes ago... I had a ARHA Sears for a few weeks, many years ago. Even as a neophyte I knew there had to be something better.

dave

dave

Kev>>>I am about to purchase a router to use with my router table. I already >> >> have >>

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

get quality.Thanks for everybody's advice.Really helped!

1ko>
Reply to
1ko

I concur with the Hitachi MV12. For others go to

They'll list you the routers and who has them at what price.

Joey in Chesapeake

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Sam;

Words taken out of my mouth. My favourite tools are ALL green. (My first rechargeable tool was a 4.2V (?) Hitachi drill - about 24 years ago). Really love their 14.4V cordless drill I use now. Also have their corded hammer drill, cordless circ. saw and sliding compound mitre saw C10FS. This latter is the only green tool I am not totally devoted to. I am not too fussy with its angle stops (I always have to double check the cutting angle, e.g. 90 deg.) and its tiny fences.

Brian

| > Brian | >

| | I couldn't agree with Brian more! The M12V is still on sale too with | ALL OF THE ACCESSORIES and NO shipping costs. Search google and you | will see alot of us here have a M12V. | | Step up, copy and repaste this link into your browser: |

|| There aren't many sure things in life, but one thing is: the m12v is a | tool, and the craftsman router is a toy. | | Fighting the urge to repaint all of the tools in my shop green, | SS

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC