ROUTER

I'm considering an upgrade from my approximately 25-year-old Craftsman

1.5 HP router. I've read the rec.woodworking archive on comparative routers. I noticed that Porter Cable, Makita, Ryobi, and Bosch were the brands that were discussed almost exclusively. (Milwaukee got one or two mentions and DeWalt got no mention at all). These posts were relatively old. Would anyone like to make a recommendation?

For my projected needs, I think I'm going with a fixed base, 1/2", VS unit with a 10amp rating. I'd prefer to buy American -- does that limit me to PC, Bosch, Milwaukee and DeWalt?

Thanks.

Reply to
hdmundt

I have the 621 and just got Pats bases for it.

I made my own subbase from some plexy I had lying around and it was a great addition. I decided to get pats b/c its a bit thicker and is cut to accept the PC guide.

Id recommend getting the subbase if you get the router. Its a great router - has served me well for 3+ years so far.

Reply to
Rob V

All American products are made in China these days. ;-)

Yes I know thats not actually possible but having been made in China they ship stuff to the states and they put a sticker on it or tighten a bolt a quarter turn and then they can say "made in america".

Adam.

Reply to
Arg

Well, Bosch GmBH is German, so that's out. Millwaukee is owned by Atlas Copco AB of Sweden, so they're out too. And Porter-Cable and DeWalt's components are made in China, Malaysia, Mexico, Trinidad, Canada, Spain and Chile, so they're out too, I guess-- although the DeWalt label is printed in the USA. :-)

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

everyone has their fav router brands and model I have 2 Porter Cables. The big beast is in my router table - 7518. The plunge router is one that has gotten a lot of bad press, but I haven't had any trouble with mine -

7529 plunge 2 1/4 or so HP. If you aren't gonna put it in a table, look very carefully at the ergonomics. The best ratings in the world will not overcome a poor fit in your hands. Take everyone's opinion, including mine, with a grain of salt. Go kick the tires. That's the best advice I can dispense for you.

dave

hdmundt wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

I couldn't help but notice that no one mentioned the Freud routers, I purchased a Freud 3 1/4hp variable speed with soft start, model FT2000E about 4 years ago best router I ever owned, but you should check out all your options, the Freud was the best one for me, came at a good price and has plenty of power.

Reply to
Evan James

Do not leave out Triton, Hitachi or Fein or Festool.

Reply to
Ramsey

Recently bought the Milwaukee 3 1/2 hp for use in a table - VS, height adjusts from both bottom and top (through the table) and the linear height adjustment eliminates the slight nonconcentricity encountered with my PC fixed base. Just used it to do cope and stick / raised panels on 1 3/4 oak for an entryway, and it didn't even hesitate when raising the panels in 2 passes - 1 heavy, 1 clean-up. Great alternative to the long reigning champ (PC 7518), which is getting a little long in the tooth.

Reply to
Rkola