Router choices

I was at my local Lowe's today looking at routers. The 2 that were most appealing to me were the Bosch 1617EVSPK and the Porter Cable 893PK. Both had the fixed base and plunge base attachments. Both 2.25 hp. The Bosch was $219 and the PC was $249. I went through Google and saw numerous posts for the last few years praising both. Any final thoughts on either of these? Or other recommendations? I also saw a DeWalt 618B3 with a D handle in another woodworking store for about $349. I kinda liked that D handle. I heard good things about the DW 618. Also what is the "EVS" mean?

Larry

Reply to
Larry

EVS = Electronic Variable Speed.

I have had the Bosch 1617evs since August of 1998. It still performs as expected. I would buy it again over the PC to save the money. I paid $197.00 for strictly the fixed base with no case. I suspect that in a few years the PC will also drop in price. The Bosch 1617evs is now available with the Craftsman badge and it is red instead of blue.

Reply to
Leon

"Larry" wrote in news:pYMYc.69962$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

EVS = Electronically Variable Speed

Bosch has had good reviews. So have the DeWalt routers. Most PC have been solid, although the 89x series is reported to have SOME new model teething pains. My PC693 has been solid, as have my other PC tools.

So what do you want to do with a router? It does make a difference.

One of the more knowledgable people on routers is Pat Warner at

Spend some time there, before you spend some cash anywhere.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

They are all good routers; it is really a matter of personal choice. Which feels better in your hands; that sort of stuff.

The EVS isn't really necessary unless you will be putting it in a table and using large bits.

I have the 1617 and the 1618 D handle. I love the switch in the handle of the 1618 for certain jobs; though the 1617 is a little more intimate feeling. I bought my 1618 refurbished for about $160. You might want to do a search on that. (I also bought my 1617EVS on Ebay for $120, but got really lucky.)

Reply to
toller