Router bit choice for panel slots in stiles...

The cabinet I'm working on calls for a 1/4" slot in the stiles & rails for the panels. I'm planning to cut them using my router with either a slotting bit freehand or using a straight bit and the fence on my router table.

I'm leaning in favor of using the table, but was curious whether there are pros/cons either way that I'd only figure out by screwing up the first time...

Reply to
Reed Snellenberger

hello,

use the slot bit on the table with a fence (if your fence can not take it, just clamp a 2*4 on the table after a pass on the planner and after you make a hole big enough to fit the bit shank and bearing.

cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de Brebisson

How about the slotting bit in the table?

Reply to
B A R R Y

You might want to reconsider and use the table saw instead. I cut those slots many years ago and graduated to using the TS. Much faster, quieter, easier to make exactly the width you need and easy to hit dead center if you need that.

Reply to
Leon

It makes sense (the original plans use dado blades for most of this), but I don't have a table saw (or have room for one, at the moment).

Reply to
Reed

Thanks -- I hadn't considered that combination, although I'd ruled out trying to use the straight bit and do the slots freehand. :-)

Reply to
Reed

Thanks -- that's exactly what I'm going to do...

Reply to
Reed

Yeah that would be a problem.. :~)

Reply to