Roundover Router Bits

If you were to purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would you consider or is essential to woodworking?

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

Depends...

I've found everything from 1/16" to >1" indispensable at some time or another. What are you wanting to round over?

--

Reply to
dpb

1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Then buy as needed. These will get the biggest work out.
Reply to
Leon

I would start with 3/8" bit and then go from there as needed most wood is 3/4" so a 3/8 bit will just knock off the edge without taking to much.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

I would add a 3/16 and drop the 1/2. But that depends upon what kind of stuff you build. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would

I second what Leon stated. I feel there is a need for each size listed in the projects I do. In addition - but this is less often - there may be a need for a 3/4 inch round over. I used this as the predominant bit in the bed I made last year. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

purchase roundover router bits, what size or sizes would

I use 3/16 a lot... for real.

Reply to
Robatoy

The one that looks good for the job at hand. And remember, to do a 3/4" thick piece of wood half way you need a 3/8", not a 3/4". Most of what I do is 1/4" or 3/8", but ymmv

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"SBH" wrote in news:ZMydnYGWKbmWTprVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com:

You may be able to pick up a roundover set with common sizes. You'll probably get 4 or 6 for $10-15 less than what buying individual bits would cost.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I would also look into cove bits tooooooo...

Reply to
evodawg

I use 3/16 a lot... for real.

Actually I use a 3/32" a lot, especially for blunting an edge a little more than what a sander would do.

Reply to
Leon

These will be your bread and butter bits, especially the small ones.

Buy quality set(s), you will save over time, not only money, but time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Initially...

1/4 3/8 1/2

Others when/if you need them

Reply to
dadiOH

Since much of woodworking seems to be done on the ubiquitous 3/4" stock, the two most used roundover bits in my shop are a 3/16 and a 3/8.

That said, and except for the fact that you will occasionally have to make an unscheduled trip to the hardware store, the very best way to buy router bits, of any kind, is as you need them.

Reply to
Swingman

Same here, along with 1/8. Most of my roundovers are small, for breaking edges with a laminate trimmer.

I'm not a big fan of the look of roundovers larger than 3/8 in very many designs. About the only time I use a larger one is to top balance a table edge ogee.

When purchasing roundover bits, selecting bits that can also cut an ovulo, like this:

can make them much more useful.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Most wood is 3/4" ?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

I mostly use a sanding block for those kind of edge 'easing'.

That 'easing' of a long piece of oak trim can be fun if you do not use a block, but just a piece of sandpaper. A 2" sliver can then accordion its way into the index finger's 2nd joint requiring surgery.... or si I'm told. I now use an 1/8' for 'easing' oak edges and always climb-cut it in a laminate trimmer. A 3/32"would do just fine as well, except I want to see more results from my efforts...:)

I see GoogleGroups has completely shit the bed.

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Yeah, don't look now Google, but there's a chink in your armor ... strictly in a manner of speaking, you understand.

I only got two spams this morning using OE and a couple of simple "news rules", but the bastards do appear to be running off the faint of heart/girly men.

Reply to
Swingman

faint of heart/girly men.

ROTFL,,, Nancy Boys, Um here we go,,,,

Reply to
Leon

With most tools that take a range of different sized add ons, whether it be router bits, forstner bits, or sockets I tend to buy a big cheap (but adequate) set of everything, then replace the ones I use enough to notice. Or break.

Reply to
PCPaul