Roundover bits

I purchased a kit of roundover bits from a woodworking store that contains four bits of 1/8, 1/4,3/8,1/2 radius. When I put them in my router, do I rout in just one pass or do I drop the depth a little at a time each pass? How do I know when to stop dropping the depth of cut?

thanks, Dimitri

Reply to
Dimit94844

I roundover in one pass except for the 1/2" on something want a really fine finish on, then I'd use a pass about 3/4 of the way there and a final pass. You stop dropping the cut when the bottom of the roundover bit is flush with the router base. Any more and you'll leave a small edge that must be sanded off.

Reply to
Bruce

For smaller round overs like those, I usually do one pass with a backup piece to minimize chipout...

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to