Rounding a corner

That sumbitch is ALWAYS mucking things up. I hate that.

Reply to
Joe Barta

We don't need no stinkin' plans!

Dave

Reply to
David

How about free plans???

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Amen. My thoughts exactly. Buy a dang jigsaw and trim close to your line and sand down to the target -- along with a chopsaw, table saw, sander, drill, and router, the jigsaw is a must-have in any shop, and was the next tool I bought after the drill, skil, and sander -- I got along just fine with a drill, skil saw, sander, and jigsaw for an entire library project, rounded corners and all.

I prefer the jigs with an adjustable angle knob on top, along with adjustable speed. You'll love having your jigsaw, and can even set it up for large-scale scroll-sawing if you're slick. And if you have kids... man they'll love the toys you can make with a jigsaw!

- Saul

D> > I have a piece of oak plywood 3/4" thick 36"x60". I would like to round the

Reply to
saulgoode

Which version of AutoCAD? can I not use Microstation? LOL.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Thank you. I have a jigsaw, a cheap Black and Decker I bought five years ago to make cut outs on melamine back splash for outlets, and counter top hole for sink etc... and it did not do a good job - or may be I should say - my skill sucked. I did not feel I have control, I can't see where the saw is going and the saw dust was flying out blocking my view or something. I did not consider doing it for the corners since it will require more control than those rectangular outlet holes. May be I just did not have a good saw, or may be I just sucked at it.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I have one of those. It is a piece of vibrating crap that will now allow you to cut cleanly. Real jig saws start at $100 and peak at about $170 for the top rated Bosch and Milwaukee models.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have one of those Black and Decker jigsaws. It's not you. It's the saw. I recently bought a Hitachi. The difference in performance is amazing. You won't regret putting the money into a good saw once you have used it.

Reply to
CW

You owe it to your future as a handyman to get your hands on a good quality jig saw. You'll find it a quantum leap above that piece of junk you have now. The saws I mentioned earlier have an orbital action that causes the blade to travel in a hook-like path that makes the cut very agressive when you need it for thick wood. Or you can adjust the orbit so that the blade moves straight up and down for good control. Switchable sawdust blowers will keep your cutline clean and moving counterbalances keep vibration to a minimum.

If you aren't ready to take the plunge based on our advice alone, RENT a good jig saw to see what we mean. You don't want to be like the cat in the quote below.

DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody
[...]

What, the least possible difference that still *is* a difference?

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

DonkeyHody

Reply to
DonkeyHody

"If you are careful in your selection of tools, it can be done under $2000."

Surely you are not recommending that the OP cut corners on this project :)

Reply to
A.M. Wood

I think he is saying that there is not a quantum leap in difference unless the first saw had no blade. Really a $90 bench top band saw will cut much better than most jig saws. I am the owner of a Milwaukee jig saw and have used a Bosch. Both being nearly equal in quality of cut I would not put either up against a band saw.

Reply to
Leon

I have to disagree with that. I have a Black and Decker jig saw. That and a couple of Skil jigsaws were all I had used until recently. I just thought jigsaws were a last resort. Something you dreaded to use unless there was no other choice. After buying my Hitachi, that opinion has changed. There is that much difference. There is no doubt that a bandsaw will give a better cut but if I was going to spend $200.00 or less on a curve cutting tool, I would buy the jigsaw. More versatile and you really can't get much of a bandsaw for that kind of money. In any case, he was talking about a 36"x60" piece. Considering the handling problems, he'd probably do a much better job with the jigsaw.

Reply to
CW

Agreed. I originally indicated a coping saw. My intent was to only indicate that the quantum leap was relative for comparing jig saws.

Reply to
Leon

I won't try to change your mind about the "quantum leap" issue. It was a figure of speach I won't attempt to defend. I think I called the Black & Decker a piece of junk, and I won't attempt to defend that either. Like Beauty, Junk and Quantum Leaps lie in the eye of the beholder.

But I think any reasonable person who used both would agree that a good orbital jig saw from any of the brands I initially recommended would be a definite improvement over a Black & Decker.

Both of us seem to own both a jig saw and a band saw. I agree that a band saw gives a better quality of cut, but I find my jig saw to be a much more versatile item of equipment, especially for home improvement tasks. Remember that the O.P. is NOT a woodworker, but a handyman. And when his next project involves cutting an even bigger piece of plywood or a long board, the jigsaw would be the tool of choice. If you disagree, well that's why they have chocolate and vanilla, right?

DonkeyHody "Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get muddy, but the pig likes it."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Any specific recommendation of a brand/model?

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I have to say I own one of those B&D jigsaws and while it serves it's purpose for what I use it for, it is most definitely a disappointing piece of junk.

I used a Porter Cable jigsaw once and I found it to be an excellent tool.

Reply to
Joe Barta

Let me add that considering it only cost me a few dollars and works OK for what I need it for, I figure it was a perfectly sound investment. That said, if you want to do any serious curve cutting with a jigsaw then by all means, part with the big bucks and get a real jigsaw.

Reply to
Joe Barta

You'll get different recommendations depending on who you ask. The Bosch 1590, Milwaukee 6266, Dewalt 321, or Porter Cable 9543 all have their devoted fans. Bosch is probably the most revered jig saw in this group. Any of these are fine saws. Reasonable people still disagree over which is best. These are all top-handle variable speed saws, which is my preference. They are separated by features such as blade-changing mechanism more than anything else I think. Several of these manufacturers also make a barrel-grip saw that many like, but I think the top handle is easier to control. I have the Porter Cable

9543 and like everything about it but the blade changer, which is a little tricky till you get the hang of it.

DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
DonkeyHody