Rikon 6" Jointer

Deos anyone have any ecperience with this machine ? Woodcraft has put it on sale for $400. Thanks.

Oswin

Reply to
oswin556

I bought it. Began to set it up last night. First impressions is that the tooling is a bit rough. manual. Some components/adjustments are not clearly described in the manual, there are other threads on the web that discuss and clarify it. I talked to tech support before I bought, their helpfulness encouraged me to buy.

Bob

Reply to
bob.bellhouse

I picked one up 2 weeks ago. Got it home and realized that I need to put it on a mobile base so I didn't start setting it up until the middle of the week. Got it running yesterday.

Sounds like my experience has been similar to yours. The manual is not real good for this machine as you pointed out. The casting had the paint knocked off it in several places. Decided that this wasn't worth going back to the store and fussing about. When I went to put on the outfeed table handle I discovered that the end of the shaft had been hit by something (there was no damage to the carton) and the handle wouldn't fit on. Wound up taking a file to the end of the shaft. Ran into a problem geting the belt to stay on. Had to move the jointer and the motor to get the pulleys to line up.

Once the bugs were worked out it seems to work fine. I haven't used a jointer in years so I don't have much to compare it to. Have run some walnut, oak and pine across it. I'm happy. Couple more large stationary tools and I can probably convince the wife that I need to build a detached garage.

Osw

Reply to
oswin556