rigid lifetime warranty home depot problems

Back in the 70s when I was framing houses, I found that out. I bought a fe w of the Craftsman line of circular saws intending to use their guarantee, and I did just that. Amazingly, their saws would last about 4 months or so on the job, which was pretty damn good. And at that time, they did indeed honor the lifetime commitment on power tools as well.

But after seeing me in there so many times with worn out saws, the "tool co rral manager" (yes, a real title!) took me aside and ask me what I was doin g to wear out the saws so quick since he was seeing me about every 6 weeks. I told him what I was using them professionally, and he agreed that it di dn't void the warranty. However, with any of the power tools, it was the d iscretion of the store and the tool corral manager to replace after the fir st replacement. Non corded tools, use them up and bring in the remains, no problem. Corded, store discretion.

Who knew?

I could have taken the tools to the other Sears store (remember, no compute rs to track) and fudged my way through, but I figured I had outgrown their tools anyway. It wasn't but a few years later that the "tool corral manage r" told me they quit honoring the lifetime warranty on their power tools, p eriod. It was a combination of things; first, they were losing their marke t and had cheapened the build quality of their tools to the point they had enough trouble honoring a one year warranty, and second, too many people ha d brought in their tools for replacement. Back then, all you needed to do was bring the receipt for the power tools, but all you had to do was bring the non corded tools in.

I am with you on the Ridgid warranty. I like it. Used it with success, so I keep investing in their tools if they have what I want.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Apples, Oranges Craftsman never did that with power tools, and that is what we are talking about.

Reply to
Leon

If helped if the tool appeared to be worn. If brand new they would be skeptical that you picked one up off the shelf and exchanged for an identical new on, in a bag.

Reply to
Leon

I always take a picture

Reply to
Craser

Could not agree more on Ryobi. I gave all my Ryobi tools and batteries away to a homeless shelter yard sale. At that time the tools worked and the batteries would charge up. They called me to see if I wanted the tools back because nobody wanted them.

Reply to
Theshop

I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed but I don’t know which one to do

Reply to
Tex Lawrence

but I don?t know which one to do

If you want to send it in you're going to need to get an RMA number and when you're doing that I'm sure Ridgid will tell you if it's better to take it back to Home Depot.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ummmm, CONTACT RIDGID!!!

Reply to
Leon

Did you register them with Ridgid when you bought them? If so, contact Ridgid. They will (should) honor their lifetime warranty.

If you didn't, contact them anyway and see what they say. Maybe they'll let you register them now, although they are supposed to be registered with 90 days.

"To take advantage of the LSA?s benefits, simply register your eligible RIDGID power tool product and submit your proof of purchase for validation within 90 days of the date of purchase."

Who knows, it's worth the free phone call. If they say no, try the store. You'll still need proof of purchase (receipt or the credit card you bought them on). After this much time, the best they'll probably offer you is store credit (if that) so don't get your hopes up. Still, probably worth the trip. You never know.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There is no requirement to register any product to receive warranty service. A proof of purchase, showing the date purchased usually is. Registration may be used to show proof of purchase (and reveal all sorts of marketing information for sale to anyone), later, if the need arises.

Reply to
krw

IIRC the tools do have a regular warranty regardless of registration. All one needs in most states is proof of purchase for the warranty to be honored. An 8 month old tool should still be under some type of warranty.

Reply to
Leon

This is true for the stated warranty on the box. Buy Ridgid offers an extended warranty of the tool if it is registered within a specific time period.

In this case, 8 months old, the tool should be under warranty regardless.

Nailshooter, remember him?, swears by the registration and extended warranty.

He would be the one to complain about unwanted solicitation that might occur from registration and he has taken advantage of the extended warranty multiple times.

Reply to
Leon

Did you miss this? "To take advantage of the LSA?s benefits..."

LSA is Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement. If the OP registered, there is no question (supposedly) that it would be covered, regardless of what is wrong with it.

Rigid also has a 3 Limited Warranty that does not require a registration and in fact may not even require a receipt. However, things can get messy if you don't have one and they can't verify the purchase date(s) via the serial numbers.

My point was - although perhaps not perfectly clear - that if the OP has registered the tool(s) within 90 days he should start with a call to Ridgid. Further, he should probably start with them anyway because of the 3 year warranty.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wonder if that LSA is a Home Depot exclusive.

Reply to
Leon

The point is that registration is not required for warranty service, by federal law.

There's no question because the registration constitutes proof of purchase. That's all that's legally required for warranty service.

Right. Registration is never required. The company may require proof of (date of) purchase, or not. I can't require registration. That's my point.

Sure. My point wasn't that registration isn't a qualification for warranty, just that it's not required.

Reply to
krw

Isn't Ridgid a house brand?

Reply to
krw

Don't know about in the USA but in Canada Home depot has a virtual retail exclusive on the Rigid Power Tool line. They can be purchased from mumerous "industrial suppliers" like Grainger and Guillevan and Noble Trade and Motion Canada - but the only "retail outlet" handling the brand in Canada is Home Depot.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No. You can buy Ridgid at Amazon. AND IIRC the vac has been available from multiple places.

Leon

"Sold by Skyline Studio".

So, not sold by amazon; probably a drop ship.

Detailed Seller Information

Business Name:Vitori studio inc Business Address: 3395 Nostrand Ave 3P Brooklyn NY 11229 US

Now, here's the real ridgid store on amazon:

Note that the real ridgid store has the good plumbing stuff and none of the consumer grade home depot goods.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You can buy Woodpeckers at Amazon, too. The insulation supports I bought recently came from HD. HD wasn't on the "Sold By" statement.

Reply to
krw