Repurposed: Hutch To Kitchen Island

My latest project is complete and has been delivered.

My daughter graduated from college and moved into an apartment. The kitchen is a good size, but there is literally no counter space for food prep. I found a hutch at a consignment shop and repurposed it to be a kitchen island.

The before pictures:

Front:

Rear:

I removed the slatted wood from the upper section and used it to finish the back of the bottom section so that it matched the slatted doors. The butcher block top came from Lowes. I added drawer slides since the drawers were just loose fitted in the rough opening. Lastly, it was painted to match her kitchen table (which also has a butcher block style top) so that it can move with her to her next place.

The after pictures:

Front:

Rear:

To top it all off, I drove to Massachusetts, picked up my 86 year dad and took him to Vermont with me to deliver the island. My daughter's place is about 20 minutes from the Killington Mountain Ski Resort, so the 3 of us took the gondola up to the peak and had lunch at the lodge.

It was a great day for all.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Very nice re-purpose. Good job.

And the scenery looks inviting, also. Wish we had a few nice mountain (or even rolling hills) views, as that. Our flat landscape is somewhat boring and the recent heat-humidity wave doesn't help the feeling of life-style stagnation, lately.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Very nice job. Looks great. Hope she is happy and proud. ;)

I love when things get repurposed and not tossed. Too muxh stuff is tossed today. :(

DerbyDad03 was heard to mutter:

Reply to
Casper

Great transaction and a great time delivering! Great JOB!

Reply to
Leon

That is a smart shortcut to a nice finished product. Did it go easily into the gondola though?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski