Make kitchen island larger?

The island in my kitchen is kind of small. There is not enough flat space to put a pot or pan next to the stove.

Can I replace the top of the island and make it a few inches larger in all direction, or is there a building code or guildline on the clearance between the island and the surrounding cabinets?

I don't know why they made the island so small. The house was built 20 years ago.

Reply to
james

General guideline for ktchen and bathroom spacing is 4'. If that seems unnecessarily large, use whatever you like if you hips are small enough.

Joe

Reply to
Joe