kitchen stove vent size ?

Anyone know if there is a standard and/or minimum diameter size venting for venting the kitchen stove....ie...5" 8" 10" piping...etc

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
trinaz

i got a 36 inch vent right over the cook top.. i think it has a 6 inch vent pipe back there.. the house was built in 1971 and was up to code back then, dont know what the code is now, check with your local building inspector as he will be the final judge.....

Reply to
jim

Check with the manufacturer or installation specifications. They will give the size and other specifications. Local codes may also have minimum specifications. Follow both. Different models may have different specifications.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I never thought there would be a code for hood venting. A larger cross-sectional area allows more volume to be moved and more heat transfer. I'd want to make the size as small as reasonable practical, and opt for a quality fan with 2 or 3 speeds. If you have a 6 or 8 burner stove, think larger volume movement. A longer pipe, one that has lots of turns, or thick filters installed should have larger diameter vents.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi,

Vent hood? Down draft vent? 3&1/4" X 10" is a common rectagler vent or

6" round, but checking with the manufacture instructions for that venting device is probably best.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

International Mechanical Code does indeed have a section on kitchen and bathroom vents. The main thing in this case is, what does the hood state to use? If its has an 8 inch takeoff on the unit, then you use 8 inch hard duct. Hard duct is required in ALL cases, and if you have a square opening, you CAN change over to a round, provided that you have the same FLOW, not so much cross section area, as the opening you have.

Reply to
CBhvac

I changed from a vent hood over the stove to a Microwave - over the stove. The man who installed my cabinets did the installation but I had to go to Home Depot and buy two things - a regular vent pipe (7" I think) and another piece - round at one end and rectangle at the other. The round piece fitted the vent pipe already in place that goes up to the roof - and the other end fitted the microwave. There were about three different sizes at HD and I think they were

6, 7 and 8. I know if I hadn't taken the old vent hood out and measured before I left, I would have been clueless about what to get.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

The most common range hood units I've seen require either a 7" or

5" round duct (although the 7" models can usually accommodate a rectangular duct as an alternative). The 7" hoods are readily available at Home Depot; the 5" models usually have to be special ordered.

BTW, I have no idea what the applicable code requirements might be.

MTW

Reply to
Michael T Wing CPA

Point is, you don't connect the kitchen hood/microwave vent ducting to the bathroom fart fan ducting.

That's just half-assed jackleg work, typically found only in lazy "I-did-it-myself and saved a bundle" homeowner specials.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

This is Turtle.

8" Round converts to 7"X 8" , 4" X 14' , or 3" X 23" Square duct. 7" Round Converts to 4" X 11' , 3" X 16", or 5.5" X 7.5" Square Duct.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE