Running power to a kitchen island

I am in the middle of designing a new kitchen and am toying with the idea of running power to an island for a socket (and, possible, in-cupboard lighting).

The floor is, I believe, suspended beam and block with a (100mm?) screed over the top. Does that sound typical of a 2007-built estate build?

I expect I would have surface mount junctions under the island and the nearest run of wall cupboards and will require a buried cable length of around 1.5m. What are my options for running this cable e.g. how to cut the channel (ease, minimum dust etc), what to put in it (armoured cable? unprotected cable inside conduit etc?) and whatever else I might not have thought of?

For what it's worth, our intended floor covering will be engineered wood.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome!

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Use a flush mounted outlet or jbox, no sense having surface mounted on a floor. For cutting the chase, a wall chaser captures its own dust, an angle grinder doesn't, and the dust produced tends to be severe.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I just figured it'd be easier - no need for a cutout (beyond that for the cable itself) and no downside given that both ends will be in the 6" void under the cupboards.

Note that the socket outlet won't be in the floor - I'll be sinking that into the side of the cupboard.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I've once seen power to to a kitchen island come down from a ceiling inside of a chrome pole.

Reply to
alan_m

There's a problem with kitchen islands. You have to walk around them. They are vanity items.

The main essence of kitchen layout is to have the sink. fridge and cooker close together.

You could well have a beam and block floor. If so, there should be ventilation bricks in the exterior walls below floor level.

Reply to
harry

In our our case it has been essential to give us sufficient worktop space given the size, shape and layout of the room.

Yes, we've got that but that's only a basic starting point. Workflow is much more than that triangle.

Yes, we have. Are you suggesting I route the cable under the beam and block?

Reply to
Mathew Newton

A length of conduit will be fine.

Reply to
ARW

:-)

I was wondering when you would spot that.

Reply to
ARW