Shellac + wax

For the first time, I used shellac and wax on a table top. It looks great, warm and deep. But I'm concerned about durability. What has been your experience?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

, warm and deep. But I'm concerned about durability. What has been your exp erience?

Overall, its my favorite finish, especially when turning. Its not a durabl e as a gym floor poly, but it does wear well (I assume you put several coat s of shellac on, before several coats of wax) The really good thing is, it s easily repaired if you do get some damage. Just treat it with the care y ou would any other finish and it will last for years.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

, warm and deep. But I'm concerned about durability. What has been your exp erience?

Dining table? Since you mentioned concerns of durability, I suspect there may be children in the family, hence dining tables are/can be targets for a buse. If you do subsequently have "damage", simply clean off the wax, repa ir the shellac finish, then topcoat with a more durable finish. Shellac r eadily accommodates top coating, of most finishes, that way.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I generally relegate shellac to non-abuse surfaces, things like boxes and wall hangings. Shellac's kryptonite is alcohol, i.e. not a good idea for a bar top, but it is exceptionally easy to repair and of course has been used _forever_ as a finish for all manner of wood projects. Much abuse on table tops is from scratching and this can be mitigated with maintenance with wax.

It used to be inexpensive as well 8^(

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

at, warm and deep. But I'm concerned about durability. What has been your e xperience?

e may be children in the family, hence dining tables are/can be targets for abuse. If you do subsequently have "damage", simply clean off the wax, re pair the shellac finish, then topcoat with a more durable finish. Shellac readily accommodates top coating, of most finishes, that way.

Thanks Sonny, Dr. Deb, and Brewster. The table will be in an artist studio and it will be used mostly to display objects but will likely see hot coffe e/tea cups as well.

Reply to
Michael

Keep in mind that shellac does not do well with spilled and forgotten alcoholic drinks.

Reply to
Leon

1) Use coasters. Clean up alcoholic drinks immediately. 2) Don't place hot items on the surface.

3) if you don't do the above, at least repair is simple.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Scott and Leon, Thanks for the info! I'll let the shop owner know.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Even if you do mess it up, shellac is so forgiving. it easily repairs.

Reply to
woodchucker