Shellac over pigmented wax?

Hello,

I'm building an end table for SWMBO's brother-in-law for Christmas (yeah, I'm a little behind schedule, but SWMBO suggested it on 12/15 and I wasn't done with my other stuff yet so I gave them an "artist's rendering" until I could get to it).

Anyway, the rest of their furniture is heavy (8/4 tops) duty pine with what looks like a pigmented wax finish. I don't really like it but they love it. I noticed their dining room table is losing a lot of the color where they wipe it off when done. Which makes sense since wax isn't a film finish or anything.

I found a colored wax that will match their furniture (tried it on some scraps) but I was wondering if I could protect it a little bit by brushing (or wiping) on some super blonde shellac (Zinsers Seal Coat) over the top? Would that work? Or would the wax actually prevent a good adhesion for the shellac?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

That's my guess. I haven't tried it, but wax is generally what you use when you don't want something to stick to the thing you've waxed.

--Jay

Reply to
Jay Windley

Or would the wax actually prevent a good adhesion for the

Yes. Shellac adheres well to just about anything but wax.

Reply to
Stephen M

I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone know first hand if shellac does or does not adhere to melamine?

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

Ok, so that answers my first question (which is what I was afraid of). Now for the follow up:

If I want a little protection that will be provided by the shellac, what will happen if I put the shellac on first, then the colored wax? Will the pigment stay on the shellac or should I just bag it all together and just put the wax on.

Oh, and if anyone knows of a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to attempt, I'm all ears.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho