removing broken roll pin

Simply put: how?

The ends broke off, so there's nothing to grab on to with pliers. I've tried a nail set to push it out, even tried drilling it out, to no avail.

Other thoughts?

Tx! Steve

Reply to
Stephen Anthony

You'll need a pin punch of the correct size. They're similar to nail sets, but of more exacting standards. A decent set isn't that expensive.

Reply to
Upscale

Maybe it should be obvious, but I don't know what this roll pin is part of. If I was able to do so without damaging something else, I'd put a propane torch on it to see if some heat loosens things up.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I've always heard them called drift pins. Use one just smaller than the hole, so it pushes the roll pin out with no wedging.

Reply to
Wilson

Roll pins are like sheets of hardened steel rolled into a cylinder with no closure where they (nearly) meet. Normal applications for roll pins are to insert them in holes that are somewhat smaller than their nominal diameter. They then bear against the hole in which they are applied by (very stiff) spring action.

The Tennesse smoke wrench, therefore, would be useless, because there is nothing to "loosen," in the conventional sense.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

When I first read the subject, I thought it said "removing broken rolling pin". So I started to wonder where the wife had broken it off. :)

Reply to
Bill Stock

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Upscale waxed poetically: : You'll need a pin punch of the correct size. They're similar to nail sets, : but of more exacting standards. A decent set isn't that expensive.

Yup. That was it. Got a set and it did the trick. Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Stephen Anthony

Bill Stock waxed poetically: : When I first read the subject, I thought it said "removing broken rolling : pin". So I started to wonder where the wife had broken it off. :)

That is a whole 'nother story

:-)

Reply to
Stephen Anthony

Out of the thousands I have seen, none have been hard at all.

Reply to
CW

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Just thought I'd mention that while it's rare, some roll pins are tapered and must be driven out from the small end since the hole is also tapered.

Figured the OP might need to know about this, since roll pins dont normally give a lot of problems, if the correct sized drift is used.

Reply to
LP

roll pin punch.

right tool for the job and all that....

Reply to
bridger

A punch of the correct size or a solid rod. I have used a pin from a hinge leaf if it fit.The punch or rod shouldbe a fraction smaller than the hole. A couple of hard taps should remove the pin.

mike

Reply to
mike

Reply to