Refinishing Cherry that has an oil-finish...possible?

Hello, I built a cherry fireplace mantel for the house a few years ago and finished it w/ an oil stain smothed out w/ some steel wool...it's a beautiful, natural finish but now my wife and i decided we'd rather have a rich, dark mahogany stain instead.

How should I go about changing this? Just sanding it lightly and putting the stain on, followed by some poly?

thanks!

fred

new woodworker in seattle

Reply to
fred

If you haven't put any poly on it at all, I'm betting you can just apply the new stain right over the old oil. Is there a section that can't be seen to test it out, colorwise? Tom

Reply to
tom

not really, but i can do it on a spare piece...the oil has been on there for over 18 months. thanks for the reply.

Reply to
fred