There is still no clear answer to the question

I want to put on one final, clean, smooth coat of Minwax Polyurithane on my coffee table. Following the directions on the can and sanding between coats as directed I get a terrible end result. I stripped the surface, sanded it lightly, then used XXXX steel wool. Put several coats of Winwax Stain (still not achieving the color that I wanted - the wood is very hard and the stain simply wouldn't soak in and darken the surface sufficiently). That said, I waited over 2 weeks for it to be completely dry - yes, I did remove any excess with strong rubbing with rags, then applied the first coat of Minwax Quick dry Poly. Following the directions - very light sanding seemed to take the first coat almost completely off of the table. Cleaned carefully, put a second coat and even more lightly sanded this coat, with similar results. Put the 3rd coat of Poly on and this time went over it lightly with XXXX steel wool. Again, it seems to be taking the poly off of the table, but I cleaned the surface and put on yet another coat. I used a foam brush for the first two coats, then a natural hair brush for the next two coats. I still have an uneven surface with brush strokes that show (I am an artist and am very familiar with how to use a brush - trust me). Can I thin this Minwax Poly with mineral spirits that are NOT the low odor type? (When I called the company they told me that everything that is done with their products should be done NOT using low odor mineral spirits, but rather, to use regular mineral spirits.) What I hope to accomplish is to end up with a nice, smooth, clean looking, long lasting surface. This table was extremely expensive, it has some of the most beautiful burlwood that I have ever seen on the top. Please help???????? !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, I am a frustrated fellow right now!

Reply to
Artist Guy

- Staining - 1st apply Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner.

-

- Oil-Based Poly - 3-Poly to 1-Mineral Spirits for 1st 2 coats only. Water-Based, thin with Water.

-

- Sanding - Between coats use 320 grit, to remove catches and nothing else.

-

- Cleaning - Mineral Spirits for Oil-Based Poly and Water for Water-Based Poly.

- Fast Drying Poly may be drying too fast for you and is therefore a bad choice. Or, apply with a roller in 2 directions and then tip with a brush in 1 continuous gentle stroke per row. It must remain very wet during the laying so your brush marks can self level. You're laying-on, not painting-in.

- If you're sanding to remove brush marks, then you're definitely sanding way-way too much. Brush marks are hills and valleys. The light sanding is to smooth the hills and leave the valleys for subsequent coats to fill or Build-up. You should end up perfect and truly beautiful.

Reply to
Anonymous