refinishing

I just completed refinishing an pine aquarium stand with that Minwax stain/urethane product. The cleanup said to use mineral spirits. I'm not satisfied with the gloss finish so I found a spray can of Varethane for outdoor wood furniture in my cupboard, water base. Do you think after the Minwax fully dries, I can spray on the Varethane for a little extra gloss? thanks

Reply to
John

Read both cans, but most likely yes, it will be ok after the original finish completely dries. Give it a few days to thoroughly dry and for the solvents to outgas. Scruff the surface with either steel wool or 1000 grit wet sandpaper, or a 3M pad to provide good adhesion. I'm not familiar with Varethane - is it a polyurethane or a urethane? In any event, if you let it dry very well, you should be home free.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Make a test piece. Apply Minwax stain/urethane on some scrap. Allow it to dry for a few days, then spray on the Varethane. My guess is they are compatible.

Reply to
Phisherman

What does the varethane say?

I had some outdoor varnish I wanted to use on a piece of goncalos alves to prevent it from darkening from UV. The can said it could not be used indoors.

I contacted the manufacturer. They said it would not perform properly indoors; but didn't explain why.

Your product may not have that problem, but it might.

Reply to
toller

thanks everyone, I will checked the label again. I gave it a quick once over and it said nothing about not spraying over the Minwax. I called them and they just recite the label. I sprayed the inside of one of the doors and no problems yet. thanks again

Reply to
John

Reply to
nospambob